ERG Valve failure $645

Hi, I drive 1996 Camry and the check engine sign got turned on.

I went to a local Toyota dealer shop and they told me

"Need EGR valve, Modulator and Vaccum switch valve $645.00"

Also they said if not fixed, it will damage Catalyst something...which is really expensive.

Is that true? Do I need to fix it? Is $645 with labor a reasonable price?

Reply to
Jiheon.Kwon

It WILLneed all those things to be fixed if they chose to do no testing. If they chose to test they will probably find the EGR valve is just fine, possibly the modulator is bad. If everything tests good best bet is to replace the vaccuum switch valve which is notorious for testing good and failing intermittently.

Doubtful.

It is for all the above parts, but I recommend you have the problem diagnosed.

Don

Don

Diagnosed properly will probably show the EGR ports in the intake are blocked by carbon.

Reply to
Woody

We see that a lot, but not so much on that particular model.

Don

Don

No, but its typical Toyota. :-/

Reply to
Steve

Not just Toyota. Guess what an EGR valve for some Buicks cost. Dealerships and some other garages sock it to you.

Reply to
<HLS

I agree. And take your car elsewhere.

Reply to
scott21230

How could all of those things fail at once unless a fire broke out in the engine compartment? Or are they all in a single assembly?

I found that some mechanics are much, much better than others, even at dealerships. For example, when my carbureted Corolla started to run really badly, one mechanic said I needed new plugs, wires, fuel filter, ignition module, and a carburetor rebuild. Another mechanic said it sounded like the float valve was sticking and asked if I had installed an aftermarket carb kit. I told him that I had, and then he asked if the float valve had a filter screen. His suspicion was right

-- no filter screen, and a chunk of rubber lodged in the valve.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly