Ethanol was a "Mistake" says Al Gore

I think most people don't realize they are getting screwed when they buy ethanol tainted gasoline. Very few people I know have any idea of their actual fuel economy. And these days ethanol tainted gasoline is not readily identified since there are no requirements that it be labeled as such.

It contraticts nothing I said. My area includes a station near a lake 35 miles away....It is not likely to be cost effective for me to drive 35 miles to fill up. These days I assume any station that doesn't advertise etahnol free gasoline is selling gasoline with ethanol. And unfortunately this is all of the stations I routinely pass. There are more stations closer to the ocean selling ethanol free gasoline, but again it is not economical to drive far out of my normal commute to hunt them down.

As noted above, although there are station in my area advertising ethanol free gas, they are not conveniently located for me to use on a daily basis.

I don't believe this. I keep detail gas mileage records, and despite owning vvehicles with higher EPA rating than in the past, my fuel economy on average is significantly worse.

A 1974 Jensen-Healy I owned literally burned up when the second owner used "gasahol." It degarded the plastic fuel line tee that connected the carburetors and this led to a significant gas leak, followed by a fire(this was a very common problem on those cars). My old chain saw refuses to run properly on gasahol (I finally replaced it with a new one that can handle the crap).

It is my opinion that it is not economic. Provide some proof that my opinion is wrong. Credible sources all seem to agree that at the very best, vehicles get 3% fewer miles per gallon of E-10 (compared to straight gasoline with the same octane and most do significantly worse than jsut a 3% decrease). So even if the per gallon cost is the same for E-10 as for straight gasoline, you are going to spend at least 3% more for fuel. E10 is already subsidized with taxpayer dollars. If you consider the subsidy, and the increased fuel consumption, do you really think you are saving any money by using E10. I don't.

So you want to dump soybeans in a hole in the groud also? A large percentage of soybeans are used for animal feed as well. Do you really want to make the arguement that we should stop feeding corn to animals so we can burn it in cars? And imagine what it does to the economics of ethanol production if there is no market for the left over mash (which is used for animal feed).

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

So that merely suggests you need a fairly large concentration of superstitious people that think ethanol is tainting their fuel to support a market for ethanol free gasoline.

So it wasn't true when you wrote "In my area there are stations that post huge sign advertising Ethanol Free Gasoline." It sounds like in your area there is no viable market for ethanol free gasoline. And I suppose you want the government to step in and artificially create that market for you?

First of all, you imagine this poor mileage is due to ethanol. It is possible that you have created a bogeyman in your mind that has prevented you from investigating what the real problem is.

Second as I said cars would perform better on ethanol blend if the government economy tests used the ethanol blends. This would give car manufacturers an incentive to design cars that perform best on ethanol blends. Right now there is disincentive for car to perform well with ethanol.

I have a 1971 Husquavarna chain saw that runs great on ethanol blends. Runs really great since I put a new bar and chain on it last week. I cut 2 cords of frozen wood this morning. Took several breaks to warm up my fingers and post messages :^)

You have provided the proof. The economics is why it exists in your gas tank.

No that is just something you hope is true. Some engines do better on ethanol blends some don't. They all would be designed to get better mileage if the auto makers were allowed to test and report mileage based on ethanol blends. Right now it is illegal for the auto makers to do that. And the price of ethanol at the moment is 30 cents/gal. cheaper than the gasoline it replaces. That is not going to change when ethanol is taxed like gasoline starting Jan 1.

All you have done is demonstrate you have no economic argument. What will you say when the subsidy is gone?

I definitely want to make the argument that shifting the economics from meat with high fat content to leaner meats is not going to be the end of the world. And the Chinese seem to be interested in buying all the Dried Distiller Grains that ethanol plants can produce. It is a very high protein feed.

Look around - obesity, heart disease and diabetes are killing off Americans at a record pace. Do you really want to make the argument that we need to step in and do something to keep it that way? In my opinion it is laughable to have spent all these years using corn to produce fatty meat, soda pop sweeteners and putting third world farmers out of business and then argue that corn is needed to feed the hungry. I see a history of decades of using corn to cause hunger and disease and now the argument is made that we need this corn to prevent hunger? That argument is crap.

The only thing better than making ethanol from corn is to use it as a fuel and burn it directly. Burning it directly is far better if the only thing you care about is energy efficiency and economics of producing energy. But then economics and efficiency have never been the only driving force behind energy consumption.

-jim

Reply to
jim

so you don't pay taxes. if you do, you're a coward and a hypocrite.

Reply to
jim beam

What about "in mass" do you not understand? So long as the masses demand the blood of those who simply refuse to pay taxes individuals are easily crushed to the cheers of the masses.

"Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break into pieces."- Etienne de la Boetie

Reply to
Brent

suspicions confirmed.

Reply to