Ethanol Petrol

Hi,

There's an United petrol station down my street which has been selling ethanol petrol and claims its grade is 98 octane. I tried using it on the Volvo 240. But it seems to make it sluggish. I was using BP Ultimax 98 octane for years and seems better.

Is it my imagination or is ethanol 98 octane not worth getting?

Cheers,

WW

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Our 1983 240 GL (Canadian with the high compression aka hot-rod engine) loves that 10% ethanol gasoline sold here in Canada by Mohawk/Husky. No sluggish behaviour even though the engine has 400,000 km on it.

Maybe your engine is not broken in yet ;-)

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

What is the octane rating and whereabouts is the station?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

They claim that the octane rating is 98.

The fuel station is in Melbourne Australia- part of the United chain of petrol stations. They all sell ethanol 98 petrol.

On TV, a group of experts claimed that ethanol petrol was just as good as normal petrol. I really don't know what to believe.

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

I believe fuel in Australia is expressed in RON, not octane (which is the RON + MON average). That is why the Australian rating is apparently higher than US. In any event, using 98 RON (or even 95 RON) fuel in a

240 is a waste of money; the very slight increase in power is more than offset by the cost of the fuel. If you really want better performance, over-inflate your tyres.
Reply to
Andrew McKenna

Thanks but my question was to Ken because he mentioned Mohawk/Husky. I am interested because I am in Canada. We have Sunoco which is sold in selectable grades all the way to 94. It can contain up to 10% Ethanol.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Reply to
Jon Robertson

I have not seen Mohawk stations east of the MB/ON border, but I have seen a Husky station in Nipigon, ON.

Mohawk/Husky has at least 2 different blends of gasohol with the lowest octane rating as 97. That is the one we use in the 240 GL. When we were in BC in 1992 and 1994 Mohawk blends had only 5$ ethanol while in the 3 "prairie" provinces it was (and still is) 10%.

You might want to do a

search for Canadian sites of Mohawk/Husky stations.

Ken Winnipeg

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

"Andrew McKenna" > I believe fuel in Australia is expressed in RON, not octane (which is

Hello Andrew,

Are you sure about that? All I know is that the Volvo manual says to use a

96+ Octane. But the Petrol stations state their rating in Octane not RON.

Only a few stations have 98 Octane.

As for over-inflating the tyres- what PSI should it be at 30 - 35 ?

Reply to
Wylie Wilde

Well, I've been more certain about other things, which is why I started "I believe..." The manual for my '92 940 says minimum 91 octane, recommended 95 octane. I've been running standard unleaded for years with no knocking. The commonly available fuel grades in the USA are 87,

89 and 92, so I believe they *really* are octane and match our 91-92, 95 and 98 "octane" figures.

As far as tyre pressures are concerned, I'm no expert; my tyre seller tells me to over-inflate compared to the owner's book, and I'll get much longer life and better fuel economy. 31psi front, 39psi rear for full load and towing is recommended by Volvo, and bump both up by another

4psi if you're on the highway (assuming you have standard wheels). If you run the tyres at full load pressure when there's just you in the car, all that happens is that you feel every bump; it doesn't hurt the tyres.
Reply to
Andrew McKenna

its poor fuel and you use more of it Like auto gas LPG is about 115 octane but doesnt deliver the calorific value Petrol does .Bp Ultimate seems to be the choice or if you have too Shell Optimax .Did anyone notice Shell posted record profits this year ??????

Reply to
John Robertson

It's that bad?

Then why do we get better mileage with 95 octane (10% EtOH) cf ULP?

Seeing as the car doesn't ping on ULP or PULP, I don't see the point of going higher than 95. Yes, we did trial it and found a minimal improvement cf 95, but not worth the extra dosh. United (which is just up the road from us) has PULP cheaper than ULP!

As to record profits, have you seen the price of copper?

Hammo

Reply to
Hammo