Excessive motor oil

Hi,

I live in the US and drive a Honda Civic 2005. I have been going to the local auto shop that specializes in Japanese cars for car maintainence. These folks do a good job for the most part except for oil change. The Civic manual says that it will take 3.4 quarts of oil but these mechanics use the last quart completely. The dip stick shows the oil is filled far above the upper level mark. Will this cause any damage to the car?

Any information or pointers appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

NJ

Reply to
Neil Jones

YES - go to your HONDA dealer!

Reply to
krp

Too much oil can certainly be harmful. Talk to the boss at the shop. He needs to mend his ways or counsel his employees.

Reply to
HLS

There is no need to go to a Honda dealership to get an oil change. You can if you want, but going to a dealership doesnt guarantee you quality.

Reply to
HLS

Perhaps not, but it seems that where he has been going has NO IDEA how much oil the vehicle needs. Better safe than sorry.

Reply to
krp

We agree that this needs to be looked into. He should bring his concerns to the shop owner, not just stomp off angry. That independent shop owner should be very keen on getting things straight and keeping them straight.

The same sort of cockup could have happened at a dealership. It is really hard to find a good mechanic these days and hard to keep them. Too many dopeheads, too many that dont know what they are doing, and too many that really dont care.

Reply to
HLS

BULLSHIT! Oil change places are institutional RIP OFF parlors. Jiffy-Lube was one of the WORST at selling people shit they didn't need. I had my fill of them when I took a BRAND NEW GMC Jimmy in for an oil and filter change. They came back to me with a LONG laundry list of what it needed. Over $1,000 worth. Trans filter, trans fluid change, differential change, brake fluid flush, air filter. and it went on. The car only had 750 miles on it. They were SURE the transmission was "SHOT!" Frankly stuffing in an extra quart of oil is small potatoes for these rip-off factories. Maybe it was an innocent mistake. Frankly if the jackass doesn't KNOW how much oil a car takes - I wouldn't let him with 500 feet of MY car. Dealers OVERCHARGE for everything. But usually they fix it right. There are always exceptions. I had to get an adjustment on the valves on a new Pontiac Grand Prix (72) and they left a wrench inside. When they went to start it, so much for the engine. Pontiac sent a new crate motor for it. I wanted a new car, but since I had already put 20,000 miles on it, Pontiac said "THAT'S A NO!" Car was fine after that. The dealers are expensive but generally honest.

Most COMPANY owned tire stores are good too. Many mom and pop repair salons are great if you establish a relationship with them. But the oil change chains? As they say in new York ... Ferrrrrrrrrrgettttttttttttttt bout it!

Reply to
krp

Nobody said anything about the Jiffy Lube franchises, krp. Something must have touched a nerve for you to explode like this.

Reply to
HLS

If all it's got is the extra 0.6 of a quart I don't think you have anything at all to worry about. If the crankcase "size" is 6" x 12" and it has that extra 0.6 quart it means it's about a half inch higher then "normal". I've had v-8 cars filled with an extra 1.5 quarts that didn't seem to have any problem with it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Haha, I did exactly that. They not only overfilled my car but spill oil on the engine. I had to smell oil burning for 30 miles.

The only way to guarantee the job is done right is DIY. You can save some money too.

Reply to
Bob Jones

Well I would certainly scream at the dealer. There are dealers and dealers.

Reply to
krp

Even dealers, who often use dropouts for entry level work like oil changes and brakes, frequently have problem filling them right.

It can cause the crank lobes to aerate the oil (lowers lubrication property) and when too much oil gets onto the cylinder walls (overwhelms oil control rings) excessive oil consumption.

Reply to
johngdole