Mixing Motor Oil

I have leftovers from different oil changes in my Camry 2005: syntethic 5W30, 0W30 and regular 5W30. I wonder if it is safe mix them in one oil change? It does not feel right to dispose perfectly good motor oil.

Reply to
Wes

It is poor practice to do this, but it shouldn't cause any problem as long as the residual oil is clean, dry, and of the required viscosity and class.

Reply to
hls

Then why is it poor practice?

Reply to
micky

like

ith

of

an a

Thanks for all the input. I will stick to the advice of not mixing different weights of oil.

Reply to
Wes
***Probably the best scenario, BUT the reasons for not mixing weights are few, at best. Weights are viscosities, nothing more. If you are within the viscosity range for the temperature, and if your oil is clean and has the proper additives for the service you are running, there is no big deal.

I dont mix them, BUT my car requires 6 quarts, plus 3 ounces of oil. I keep a bottle of oil from which the 3 ounces can be made up. Then I add 6 quarts of oil per change, and top up with the odd bottle.

This is not rocket science.

Reply to
hls

Why not just buy two 5-qt jugs, and save the remainder for the next oil change?

Reply to
Michael

Ah, ok.

I'm actually now in a similar situation as the Original Poster. Just sold my '96 Camry, which takes 10W-30. Our '99 and our Sienna take

5W-30. I'm slowly using my remaining 2 quarts or so just topping off the oil as needed. It's all Mobil Clean 5000 anyway.
Reply to
Michael

Why not just buy two 5-qt jugs, and save the remainder for the next oil change?

******* I dont know if that would be any cheaper or not...Maybe, if you dont buy any quart size oil at all. My Solara requires 5 quarts, but the Avalon requires 6 quarts plus a little.
Reply to
hls

The only times I've paid attention to sales here were a couple times they had an oil filter and 4 quarts of oil for sale at a very good price, and they gave customers the choice of a one-gallon bottle or 4 one-quart bottles, same price.

Reply to
micky