FFT fuel additive, just more snake oil?

A friend gave me a bottle of this stuff swearing it makes a noticeable improvement in gas mileage. It's called FFT Gasoline Blend Combustion Catalyst.

My default position on all these "Miracle In A Bottle" products is that they fall within a range from useless to potentially harmful to your car.

This site includes a link to a PDF file citing a study by the University Of Southern Maine reportedly showing test results on this product, though the product name in the .pdf is Diesel/Gas Go.

Supposedly they found a measureable improvement. I haven't followed up to verify that the University can confirm they published this data as stated.

Here's the patent listing for it

The website for the manufacturer doesn't greatly inspire my confidence

with claims like:

"Does your car run like it needs a $90 tune up? Run just 2 tanks full of FFT, and you won't need the tune up. FFT brings performance back."

I guess it reconditions plugs/wires and distributor rotors too?

Anyone have experience with or knowledge of this product?

Reply to
HiC

mixed results.

it is registered with the EPA How much does it cost compared to a gallon of gasoline?

I had a Nissan the required a full carburetor rebuild every time I tried one of these "tune ups in a can". Perhaps you will have different results.

David A. Smith

Reply to
dlzc

Stuff like this appears every time there is a runup in gasoline prices.

Proven ways to improve milage on a car include maintaining tire pressure at a higher recommended level; changing driving habits to minimize frequent changes in speed; combining trips where possible; keeping the car in good tune.

I agree.

Reply to
John S.

You really need to see the official tests from the university or testing lab in order to make a decision.

The combustion catalysts I have seen gave some decent emissions improvement on diesel engines. Cant remember now if they gave any improved fuel economy or not. Clearly, they never became front page news.

Looks like snake oil, smells like snake oil, but read an official report from a reputable testing facility before making a firm decision.

Reply to
<HLS

Not with that I haven't but you should try Ethos FR. It is non-toxic and non-hazardous and works not only in your gas but also in the oil in your crank case. If you want more info, email me at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
ethos4life

One pint is $25 which treats 160 gals. You use it 1 oz/10 gals. I think it can be had cheaper in bulk.

Reply to
HiC

[snip]

Gas tank *and* crankcase? Then it is crap.

Reply to
Uncle Al

I have nothing to say about this additive, but I will comment on the report. It is a bad job. It says too little about how the tests were done to convince anyone that they were done well. And expressing the average mileages to a hundredth of a mile per gallon is ludicrous. The e-mail address of the author of the report is snipped-for-privacy@usm.maine.edu. I've cced this message to him, for his comment.

Reply to
Marvin

So you don't like Marvel Mystery Oil either, then.

Reply to
clifto

I have used it as a motor oil additive to clean up varnished engines and sticking lifters. Like it or not, it has always worked (in the cases mentioned previously) for me. I put it in, run it a couple of hours, and then drain and change.

I do not, and would not, use it as a regular treatment.

Reply to
<HLS

I think it makes a dandy top oil when added to the gasoline. I'll run it in the crankcase for a few days myself, but like you I don't use it as a full-time crankcase additive.

Reply to
clifto