How to get gasoline out of gas tank???

I have to change the fuel pump in my daughters Monte Carlo. It has almost a full tank of gas. What is the best and safest way to get the gas out. I can't get a hose into the tank to siphon it. Does someone make a pump of some sort to do this? Thanks for any ideas.

Dennis B.

Reply to
Dennis

See if the fuel line from the tank runs underneath the car.If there is a connection under there, get some containers to catch the gas, disconnect the fuel line and you can drain the tank. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

check walmart they make small siphoners that should fit in there

Reply to
2001jettavr6

Or maybe a small diameter flexible hose. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

cuhulin said,"See if the fuel line from the tank runs underneath the car.If there is a connection under there, get some containers to catch the gas, disconnect the fuel line and you can drain the tank." This might be your best and only option as most car manufacturers have placed baffles and other means to make it more difficult to siphon gas in modern cars. Some of this is fallout from the oil crisis of the 70s when siphoning gas from vehicles was very commonplace. I have found that, that method works quite well.

Reply to
'97ventureowner

I'm going to assume here that it's a fuel injected Monte with a tank mounted pump instead of a carbed one with a block mounted pump.

If the fuel filter is under the car, that might provide a way to disconnect the line and drain the tank.

My car has a fuel pressure test port under the hood - looks like a tire valve. My theory (untested) would be to pull the core from it, hook up a hose, and turn the ignition on. The fuel system will prime to bring the pressure up, and will instead drain the tank. Although, if the pump is totally fubared, I guess this won't work... you'll be disconnecting the line instead.

If you've eaten your wheaties lately, you could drop the tank with the gas in it... figure on 7 pounds/gallon + the 25 pounds for the tank assembly.

My $0.02... I've changed leaky gas tanks on two cars, and next time I'm paying a shop to do it because it's a real PITA to get the tank back in. (And I'm stubborn - I had no help yesterday but installed the motor into my race car anyway by myself, took three times as long as it would have normally.)

Ray

Reply to
ray

Presuming it is an electric, in-tank fuel pump that is still working somewhat, you can disconnect the fuel line at the engine (or tank) and connect to that a short hose that drains into something. Then, turn the ignition to 'run' and it should run the pump for a few seconds. Repeat as needed.

Reply to
Bob M.

Save the wear and tear on your ignition switch. Jumper the pump at the relay.

Reply to
Steve Austin

Shouldn't it keep running because it fails to bring up the pressure or is it timed?

Ray

Reply to
news

Is the fuel pump inside the gas tank? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yes the pump is inside the tank. What I ended up doing was disconnecting the filler tube from the tank and inserting a small hose into the tank. I connected the hose to an external electric fuel pump that came from a Honda. I had to connect the pump to a battery, I used long wires so I was far enough from the car so that a spark wouldn't catch the gas on fire. It worked pretty good, took about an hour to drain the tank

Thanks for your suggestions. Dennis

Reply to
Dennis