Fit an air swirler to a fuel injector's air intake, has any1 here done this ?

These 2 sites make big claims, that their swirlers can increase torque from fuel injectors too. Has any1 here found this true ? If yes, does your engine have 2 inlet valves per cylinder ?

In 1980s, BBC's Tomorrow's World reporters had introduced & praised an air swirler for carburetors. In 1994 I tried 1 swirler ( made in korea, called "cyclone" : fins too few, can make just a slight swirl I'm sure ) on a Mitsubishi 4G15P carburetor, car was twice driven up a 30º slope : I felt a very small rise in torque. In 1998, 1 msia govnmnt dept scientifically studied this "cyclone" on engines' nitrous oxide emission, & got similar (

Reply to
TE Cheah

Complete ripoff, especially popular when fuel prices are spiking like they are now.

I wish someone would take these con-artists out to the back 40 and fix the problem permanently.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

I sure agree with that. I did try one thing years ago. In fact it was 1979 or 80 when there was a gas shortage. The idea was to heat the gas before it got to the carb. They were selling a gadget that ran about 2 inches of the gas line thru the coolant. Well, it didnt take me long to rig one up using spare plumbing parts. But instead of

2 inches, I ran 2 feet thru the coolant. I actually did notice an increase in milage per gallon. Something like 1/2 to 1 mile more per gallon on a 327 Chevy engine, or was it a 350 (I forget now). Anyhow, it really did help except for one thing. I would vapor lock pretty often, so I had to rig a bypass line around the device, which meant opening the hood and turning some valves. In the end, I decided it was more hassle than the amount of gas saved. However, I'm wondering how this would work on a fuel injection vehicle? Do they vaporlock? Maybe it would not help at all. I have never owned a fuel injected vehicle. I only drive old cars.
Reply to
me

Something for nothing garbage... Even assuming the swirl does anthing at all, it would not work on most modern cars. Newer cars have convoluted intakes and injection systems that would break up the swirl early. If anything the Tornado, or whatever its called, will take energy to make the swirl and make the intake more restrictive. Dum Dum Dum Also, I watched the Tornado infomercial and they did dino testing on a Ford LTD that had a K&N aftermarket intake system. Not once did they mention that this was a modified car. I wonder what else they were monkeying with?

Reply to
M C

Wouldn't putting something that restricts air flow, make the engine work harder? Just thinking out loud.

later,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************

Free Text Real Estate Ads!

Reply to
junkmail01

These things are based on a very real desire to have good swirl inside a combustion chamber, and fail because it's the design of the combustion chamber that creates the swirl, not anything in the intake tract. All the trick devices do is restrict airflow, and mostly reduce efficiency. Swirl is critical to good combustion efficiency, and is hard to get in four valve heads. The mark of good combustion efficiency is the ability to run less ignition advance to achieve maximum power.

Some four valve F-1 engines, where swirl was hard to achieve due to the symetrical nature of the four valve head, needed up to 55 Deg total ignition advance to maximise power. I have a three valve race head at home that needs 48 - 50 degrees to maximise power, and I've never been able to bring myself run it that far advanced - too afraid of detonation.

As with just about everything related to engines and efficiency, if you really were able to gain an improvement from putting a static turbine swirl generator in an air filter, you would need to recalibrate the rest of the fuel and ignition system to match, or no actual improvement would be realized. If you make a change and don't have to re-jet or change the timing to optimise, then you didn't actually make a change...

Brian

Brian

Reply to
Brian

TE Cheah wrote in rec.autos.tech

All this aftermarket stuff is crap. It is almost impossible to tell if you have increased power by the seat of your pants. And any small increase in gas mileage is probably more due to your paying attention to your driving habits than any effect from a device. The claims that these outfits put out are bull. The EPA has tested a great many of these devices and everyone of them is crap. Many of them actually harm fuel economy and emissions. The people who are selling them are liars. And from time to time they are prosecuted for it. Don't waste your money.

Oh, and since manufacturers are under a lot of pressure to reduce emissions and increase gas mileage, wouldn't you think that they would grab up these products and put them on the cars to begin with?

Reply to
Dick C

Wouldnt the air straighten out , when it got past the (tornado), defeating the benefits of any swirling action

Reply to
me

Not only that, but when it slaps up against the back of the closed intake valve it sorta just stops and becomes random.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

These gadgets, and many others like them, are very effective at separating fools from their money. In that sense, they may serve a useful purpose after all.

Regards, Al.

Reply to
Al Haunts