Flare nut wrench design - your preferences?

I am designing some six-point flare nut wrenches. One of the goals is to provide a wrench that is the least likely to round-off the corners on soft flare nuts. I would like to know experienced mechanics' (not necessarily professional) preferences on a couple design details.

  1. Design detail #1 has to do with WHERE the slot is positioned. There's two choices.

a. The slot is centered on one of the six corners of the hexagon, so major portions of two of the six sides are removed. This is the design currently produced by most major tool makers.

b. The slot is centered on the middle of one of the six sides of the hexagon, with that entire side removed, plus minor portions of the two adjacent sides. This design was common until 10 years ago, now mostly replaced by design '"a."

  1. Design detail #2 is whether the wrench is flank drive or not.

If you have used both types, what is your preference?

Henry

Reply to
Henry

I really don't care, just make them so they don't "spread!" I hate that...

nate

ObPeeve: I have a Craftsman flare nut wrench that "spread" open a couple years ago when working on my old GTI. I have yet to replace it because every time I go to sears to trade it in they don't have one. Grr.

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Well Nate and Henry, you guys have a second rate flare nut wrench. The ones I use have a hinged half circle that clamps the entire nut, cannot spread AND ratchets to boot. Details tomorrow.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

If there is room, you can clamp the wrench end, once it's on the nut, with visegrips to keep it from spreading. You can even "unspread" it so to speak and make it really snug. That was the only way I was able to remove some over tightened fittings without completely ruining the fitting.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Yes, I'm aware of that... but I was going to return it anyway since it was used only 3-4 times. I have since started to clamp them as a matter of principle on any fitting that feels like it's going to give any trouble at all. Also started buying Snap-On, S-K etc. at pawnshops rather than new Craftsman.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I use a set of wrench ends that have a 3/8" square drive hole in the end. I can drop one of these little wrenches down into a hole where there is no swing room for a regular wrench. Hell, I can even get Toyota fuel filters off with this setup!!!!!!

Reply to
null_pointer

|Well Nate and Henry, you guys have a second rate flare nut wrench. The ones |I use have a hinged half circle that clamps the entire nut, cannot spread |AND ratchets to boot. Details tomorrow. | |Chas Hurst

OK Chas, let's have those details Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

or:

type "ratcheting flare nut wrench" into google

Reply to
Neil Nelson

There ya go. The price on these in a set varies greatly. But they're great wrenches, and much slimmer than the open end type. I've had a 3/8 and 7/16 for years and have never rounded a fitting. The usual problem seems to be twisting the line off. Actually, if it looks like thats going to happen I just cut the line and use a socket.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I have yet to see a flare wrench that ACTUALLY works as advertized (and no, I don't buy cheap ones! I have some in my toolbox, but I reach for conventional open-end wrenches first because they flex LESS than flare wrenches.

Reply to
Steve

| |There ya go. The price on these in a set varies greatly. But they're great |wrenches, and much slimmer than the open end type. I've had a 3/8 and 7/16 |for years and have never rounded a fitting. The usual problem seems to be |twisting the line off. Actually, if it looks like thats going to happen I |just cut the line and use a socket. | |Chas Hurst

Spray some good penetrant - PB Blaster, Kroil - onto each fitting a few minutes before and you will hardly every twist one off. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

|Rex B wrote: | |> |Well Nate and Henry, you guys have a second rate flare nut wrench. The ones |> |I use have a hinged half circle that clamps the entire nut, cannot spread |> |AND ratchets to boot. Details tomorrow. |> | |> |Chas Hurst |> |> OK Chas, let's have those details |> Rex in Fort Worth | |I have yet to see a flare wrench that ACTUALLY works as advertized (and |no, I don't buy cheap ones! I have some in my toolbox, but I reach for |conventional open-end wrenches first because they flex LESS than flare |wrenches.

My dad gave me some older 12-pt (or 12 minues 3 point) that he had used inservicing A/Cs. They have never flexed open on me. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

I've tried all that, and it doesn't work that often, particularly on cars that have seen 15 salty winters.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst

LOL!

I start a few 'days' before with the penetrating oil, not a few minutes and I still see a 75% failure rate....

Must be nice to live some place that anything over 6 months old will come apart...

Mike (up in the salt belt)

Mike Romain

While that probably works well in Texas, it isn't gonna do diddley in the salt belt.

Reply to
Neil Nelson

Chas Hurst's earlier post told about ratcheting flare nut wrenches, so I just bought one of the Wright Tool ones, in the 3/8 size (#1642). It's a clever design, but when I put it on a 3/8 nominal nut (actually .371 across the flats) the 12 point "flank drive" is touching only the very tips of the nut, definitely not the flanks. It this a manufacturing error (maybe they gave me a wrench with 10 mm jaws (.393) instead of the

3/8 that's marked on the handle)? Or is this how it's supposed to be?

Henry

Henry wrote:

Reply to
Henry

Why not try to tighten a test fitting held in a vise? I doubt the wrenches I own are "flank drive" since they are ancient.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst