for the guys that are into recreational oil changing...

The link Dr. Beam provides indicates a 10,000 mile oil change interval for cars. It goes on to say "Mileage can be extended furthest in gasoline engines by using higher quality motor oils containing a high total base number (TBN)."

So anything less than 10,000 miles between oil changes is recreational and unnecessary according to the OP. Not 2000, not 3000, not 5000, not 7500 miles.

Reply to
ACAR

Obviously watching US TV has reduced your reading skills to very low level. I'll put it in terms that even a simpleton should be able to understand.

Somebody said

"These minute particles pose no danger to your engine, but they cause the oil to darken."

I responded that although that holds true most of the time there can be unusual circumstances where those fine particles do cause harm.

-jim

Reply to
jim

"Obveeus" wrote in news:hp28cs$hth$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

So "chemical" and "harmful" are one and the same to you?

Define "chemical".

Reply to
Tegger

jim wrote in news:78GdnRLH3Kn8TCnWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Thank you for accommodating me.

That statement is much more clearly written than your previous jumble.

Reply to
Tegger

Clearly, the above does not say that. Why are you acting stupid?

No desire to play your little agenda game. Defining 'chemical' will in no way lead to a greater depth of dicussion on why it is bad to needlessly expose yourself to harmful chemicals. Keep cleaning/disinfecting your home hourly if you believe that it won't/can't hurt you.

Reply to
Obveeus

Interesting point: "The HE filters used in this study claimed filtration of particles to 1-2 [microns], much better than standard filters of 30-50 [microns]. Using standard filters is one reason that motor oil needs to be changed; it gets dirty with small particles which results in engine wear. In this regard, standard filters have not improved over the years compared to significant improvements in motor oil quality. The oil change interval set in warranties is a result of standard filters being the limiting factor, not the motor oil quality. Hence, higher quality filters will help to extend motor oil life to its full potential."

This raises the question: would it be safe to keep engine oil for

10,000 miles if you replace JUST the oil filter every 5,000 miles?

Is an HE filter necessary? Oil analysis comparisons of the HE Fram X2 filter vs. a normal CarQuest filter would have been nice.

Maybe I can do an experiment with my '96 Camry (176k miles). For my wife's car, the 5,000 mile oil change will remain...

Michael

Reply to
Michael

The problem is that the oil filter is filtering out the small particles. So you still have the small particles going right through the filter.

Only if the comparisons include small particles.

And how are you going to determine the results of the experiment. You have an n of 1 (one sample). Not very useful.

This doesn't take into account that the additives in the oil get used up.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Good point.

Then again the ('96) car's seen oil change intervals of 8000 miles anyway. Was thinking of pulling the valve cover to see how it's doing. In the absence of HE vs. regular oil filter data, was thinking of just changing the (regular) filter, leaving the oil in, for say

8000 miles again. Doesn't the manual specify 7500 miles? Don't have it on me at the moment...

The article implied that oil additives aren't the limiting factor: it's the oil filter that is the limiting factor.

Michael

Reply to
Michael

And then there is that incredibly noisy minority of people who actually think they are giving good advice.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I am saying "no," though it is conjecture like everyone else's. Honda itself says the normal schedule "is fine for most drivers." From my

2003 Civic's manual:
Reply to
Elle

The smaller the particle the filter traps, the quicker it is going to clog up. Also, until you get to a point of saturation, the size of the particles missed by a "standard" filter are not large enough to do much engine wear. I'm fairly anal about my vehicle, but I don't use filters that trap very fine particles. I use regular old standard filters. They are less prone to being clogged. And if that happens the bypass kicks in and you have no filtering at all.

It would depend on the service. If it's all highway miles, maybe.. If not, pretty risky.. :(

I think it's a waste of money, and also not the greatest idea as I have already touched on.

If your Camry has 176k miles on it, you are probably doing something right. Why change? :/

Myself, I use regular standard filters, half decent oil, "castrol syntec blend", and I change it every 5k miles like the manual and the blinky light on the dashboard says. I'm not a fan of "extended oil change skeds". The purpose of changing the oil and filter is to remove the dirt, acids, moisture, and whatever else, and to replenish the additives in the oil. I'm not going much past 5k in any of my vehicles, and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. My older trucks actually get dirtier after 5k miles than my newer Corolla. It's so clean burning it is really not that bad after 5k.. But I change it anyway. Cheap insurance. I don't use synth blend in the trucks though.. Just regular dino oil.. I only use the synth blend in the Corolla as extra insurance against the dreaded gelling problem. Again, the extra cost is cheap insurance the way I see it.

Reply to
nm5k

Ok, thanks for the info. Good points all around. Maybe the car can go longer on multiple filters, but 5k miles is long enough. My use might even qualify as "severe" come to think of it... mixed city/ highway driving.

Was using Castrol regular 10W-30, thinking of putting in regular Mobil

5W-30 for better fuel economy next change due in ~900 miles.

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
Michael

"Obveeus" wrote in news:hp2ok5$tj$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

You said, "Exposure to all the chemicals also causes many health problems."

You didn't say, "harmful chemicals", you said, "chemicals".

So...what's a "chemical"? Answer the question.

Reply to
Tegger

How often should this freeway trip be made in order to minimize damage to the engine by water-laden oil?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Look up Honda's manual.

We just have to disagree then.

Reply to
Bob Jones

I do not see this phrase in Honda's manual.

That's a big difference from just saying "is fine for most drivers."

Which one is it? "Occasionally" or "most of the time"?

Reply to
Bob Jones

Pardon? The manual is pointing out that one must drive "most of the time" in the severe conditions listed to warrant following the severe schedule. Only occasionally driving in severe conditions warrants the normal schedule.

Reply to
Elle

Hey, all, let's re-argue detergent vs. non detergetnt motor oils, plus single grade vs. multigrade? I cannot believe I'm still seeing this same old crap argued so fervently in 2010. I've lived (and driven) thru all these arguments.

Nowadays I drive an '03 Accord sedan w/5AT and I send an oil sample for analysis every spring. 2010 will be the first year for an annual oil change. Just for the record, 6,300 miles since I changed the oil in

05/09). Analysis reports show my non synthetic oil as well as I4 engine are in excellent condition. I do some things non-factory: change oil filter every oil change, change engine air filter (along with the cabin one) annually, etc.

My $.02, YMMV, of course, and we're all entitled to our opinions. :)

Reply to
Tony Harding

What's a "drug"?

Reply to
Tony Harding

How about the CBC? Tegger lives in Canada.

Reply to
Tony Harding