Designer of the Mustang.

I saw it on local tv news, Donald N. Frey dies at 86. I have owned two Ford Mustang cars before.A 1964 Mustang and a 1968 Mustang.I wish I had kept my first Mustang.

Rest in Peace, Donald Frey. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Ah, that would be a 64 and a half. I tried out my friend's Mustang. It had a huge steering wheel right up to my chest which felt like it was connected to the wheels with a big ole piece of rubber. Nothing much happened when I stepped on the brakes so I pressed harder and that worked a little better. To really stop that thing you needed to stand on the pedal. That was a blast from the past! I think I rather have my 65 Nova. Unfortunately, that car sucked!

Reply to
dsi1

The only thing wrong with the 1964 (1964 1/2) Mustang I owned was a gash in the side of the left rear fender and the car had high rise shock absorbers on the rear.I got rid of those and I replaced them with standard shock absorbers.I was in my back yard repairing the gash in the rear fender when I heard news on my radio that Elvis Presley had died.The car was canary yellow color.Small V8 engine and manual shift transmission.The grill on the car was crumpled, I bought a good grill a guy had advertized for sale in the local newspaper.Everything else about the car was in good condition, including the steering and the brakes. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

I can never understand these people that get these monster engine in a hot rod and then put an automatic transmission it it. Sacrilege.

Reply to
chuckcar

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

I've heard it said that any real car guy never gets rid of a car. They would be worth serious coin now. Even unrestored.

Reply to
chuckcar

Original Mustang was a Falcon in drag- that is what made it cheap. Ford did lots of parts-bin engineering back then. For awhile, there was a fad of using Lincoln Versailles axle, suspension and brake bits on Gen I Mustangs, because they all bolted right up, and it improved the heck out of the braking and handling.

Reply to
aemeijers

It sure could use some improving! My friend used to have a Falcon. Somehow the back seat caught fire but left the rest of the car intact except for a strong barbecue-smokehouse odor. We used to ride in that thing on the floor which was kinda harsh. That's kids for you - it was a horrible, acrid, sheet metal scraping ride but at least it was a ride.

Driving that old Mustang brought back memories of the numb-nuts steering and scary braking of these old cars. The 67 Barracuda I used to have was a lot better car. OTOH, it looked kinda boss - powder blue with racing style wheels.

Reply to
dsi1

For awhile, there was a fad

I just un-did one of those. The Versailles spindles and steering arms resulted in 4+ inches of bump steer. Hitting a bump in a turn was a exciting. The rear end was cool though.. Ben

Reply to
ben91932