Ford 3.0 ('86 Taurus) Timing Tips?

I am trying to set the timing on an '86 Taurus 3.0 I got the mark (10 btdc) on the pulley chalked. I couldn't see where the reference on the engine is, but I figured I could find it with the timing light once the engine was running. I couldn't.

I'm hoping someone with experience timing this engine can tell me what I have to remove to be able to shine my timing light on the timing mark and see it with the engine running.

And maybe someone can explain why they built this engine so that the timing mark is impossible to hit with a timing light.

Also, my manual says that I need to,

"remove the inline spout connector or remove the shorting bar from the double wire spout connnector."

It explains that the spout connector is the center wire between the electronic conrol assembly (ECA) connector and the Thick Film Ignition (TFI) module.

You will be shocked that I have been unable to find the inline spout connector or the shorting bar. Can anyone direct me to it? The landmarks in the manual haven't been all that much help.

Thanks,

Hamish

Reply to
Hamish WAUGH