ford 302 pushrod question

Hello everyone

My friend has some new pushrods he isn't going to be using they are

6.902inch long guideplate type. My problem is i need 6.812. So my question is. can .1 (3/32) be taken up in the adjustment? II'mrunning a hydraulic mild cam,flattop pistons,and stock rockets(rail type). This isn't a racing engine just normal use.

As i really don't have the cash to buy 40-100 bucks in pushrods i would really like to use them. My first instinct is to say yes. But before i maybe kill a engine i needed to ask :)

thank you all for the help

Reply to
chad

I don't have personal experience with changing these lengths, but I read about it in a mag recently.

0.1 inch is nothing when it comes to adjusting rocker arms mounted on studs, so long as the new angles do not put the pushrod into contact with the head passage walls, or the like.

If the pushrods were too long or too short, of course, you could get into some geometry problems with the rocker arm.

At least, this is the opinion. Others welcome to challenge.

Reply to
Larry Smith

|I don't have personal experience with changing these lengths, but I |read about it in a mag recently. | |0.1 inch is nothing when it comes to adjusting rocker arms mounted on |studs, so long as the new angles do not put the pushrod into contact |with the head passage walls, or the like. | |If the pushrods were too long or too short, of course, you could get |into some geometry problems with the rocker arm.

What Larry said. Are your rockers adjustable, or the torque down and leave-em-alone type? As I recall, most early 302s are the latter type. If yours are adjustable you should be in good shape. Probably OK whichever type you have. Seriously consider buying new rocker nuts. One other thing you need to watch for using rail-type rockers with an eftermarket cam. The additional lift may let the rocker arm slots contact the stud at full lift. The cheap cure for this is to elongate the slot a bit with a die grinder or dremel tool. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Thank you everyone for the help :) im going to give them a shot. I will watch and make sure everything works out :)

Reply to
chad

forgot to say its the non-adustable type. just the "zerolash-preload" set it and forget it. :)

p.s thanks for the tip about making the hole little longer :)

Reply to
chad