Ford Escort '95 Wagon...rear wiper

It doesn't want to stay against the rear windshield halfway thru the wipe cycle. I dont see a tension screw adjustment on the base of the wiper arm. I did see a spring mechanism inside the arm but cant see where its possible to tighten or adjust. Anybody got a clue???

Reply to
Mister Meiser

There's no tension adjustment. The arm corrodes a bit, over time, and no longer moves freely on the pivot pin at its base. The spring is no longer able to overcome this resistance to movement, so the arm can't follow the contour of the glass. I took the entire arm off my car, and worked it through its entire range of motion on that pin while applying some light oil to the pin. It doesn't take much oil; just enough to lubricate the pin and the holes it occupies in the arm. When the arm pivots freely on the pin with absolutely no drag, it's ready to re-install. FWIW, rear wipers are almost always a pain in the butt. They collect a lot more contaminants than those on the front, just because they're located in the draft of the vehicle. They always seem to be requiring maintenance.

Reply to
the fly