trouble with a ford 429

its smocking white smoke but not loosing water.fouls plugs at or above

3200rpm.over heating at idle and road speed. can u help?
Reply to
79ford

"79ford" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Are you SURE it's not losing coolant?

Check out the transmission Vacuum modulator... does the vac line have tranny fluid in it?

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

This is a tuff one. It could be running to lean. The white smoke has me stumped. Only way on the white smoke is a cracked cylinder or blown head gasket this will also cause it to over heat (putting pressure on the coolant system). One way to check this is warm (not hot) engine and while running remove radiator cap. If the coolant come out (look for water with air pressure behind it) you have cracked cylinder or blown head gasket. It don't take much coolant to make white smoke. Over heating will foul plugs too.

Reply to
doc

It's been a while, but, yes, a severely blown modulator will cause white smoke out of the tail pipe and, curiously, not much difference in transmission operation.If the line is pulled off the trans won't shift?. The overheating at idle may or may not be connected. If the vehicle is equipped with a fan clutch, it's likely bad if original. Model and year would help greatly. Is this a stock car, or a 460 in something modified?

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Hey Doc, I've seen your posts and figured you for an old timer. ATF will burn "white" too. May not be his problem, but I remember seeing (owning) Fords with with white smoke pouring out of the tailpipe(s) caused by a bad Trans Modulator. I used to check this even before the coolant level on late 60s and early 70's Fords. I bought many with "bad head gaskets" at "reduced" prices at used car lots due to blown trans modulator valves. That ATF would sure clean the intake tract on an engine.

Reply to
Tom Adkins