Ford Transponder Keys

Hello, all. Just purchased and programmed a third transponder key for my 2011 Ford Focus using the procedure in the owner's manual. In reality it isn't the key that gets programmed (it's read only) but rather the car's computer/ECM that is instructed to accept the key's unique code/serial no.

Does anyone know of a procedure (e.g. cycling the ignition switch) that can be easily performed by the owner to de-validate/de-program a lost or stolen key from the memory of the car's ECM? My Focus owner's manual doesn't cover this. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

Reply to
J. B. Wood

I think this site may have the steps for most popular cars. Just scroll to the Ford section in your case:

The video even shows how to make one remote work with 2 exact model vehicles. How not secure is that? lol.

Econo-cars

Reply to
Econo-cars

Hello, and thanks for the reply but that URL just mentions verbatim what's in my owner's manual for programming the remote entry device (fob). My question concerned transponder keys not fobs. Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

John,

My understanding is that the only way to erase keys from the PCM memory is to have it done my the dealer (or at least someone that has access to the programming equipment).

Ed

C. E. White

I believe it requires the Ford VCM/IDS system, or program enough new keys (8?) to push the others out of the limited memory.

From the '09 F250-500 manual:

NOTE: The anti-theft security access procedure is used to obtain Passive Anti-Theft System (PATS) security access. PATS security access must be granted to erase ignition key codes, program ignition key codes, enable/disable unlimited key access mode, set unlimited transponder key ID, reset parameters in the Instrument Cluster (IC) and PCM, and enable/disable the spare key programming switch (PID SPAREKEY). The anti-theft security access procedure invokes a

10-minute time delay prior to granting security access, during which the scan tool must remain connected to the vehicle. Once security access is granted, a security access command menu is displayed, which offers various command options.
Reply to
Pete C.

Oh sorry. The only info I found on that was that either a dealership has to do it, or some locksmiths that have been given all the info, but fewer locksmiths are getting that trust level now.

I did see a site that offers a bypass for security systems on many makes of cars. The highest price was $43 usd. If I ever get trouble with my keys that's what I'll be getting. The units are just plug and play.

Econo-cars

Reply to
econo_cars

Hello, and my thanks again to all who responded. I discussed the lost/stolen key situation with service dept personnel at my Ford dealer and they said that if one were to alternately cycle off-on two valid transponder keys in the ignition switch to the 8-count limit, the car's ECM would reset to only those two keys being tagged as valid. (This procedure is supposed to work with the 2010/2011 Ford Focus and maybe some other Ford models/years) Ford dealers also have the required equipment to accomplish this via hookup to the ECM (but that's gonna cost ya). BTW, my Ford dealer charges ~$49 (including cutting) for a Focus transponder key. The customer can then do the programming or the dealer will do it at no additional charge (provided you have your other two valid keys with you). Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

That's not the worst I've heard, but my dealer charged just $9/ea for two additional transponder keys (cut) when I bought my F350 (I programmed them). I do like my dealer's parts department, they don't seem to have an excessive markup on parts like most dealers seem to.

Reply to
Pete C.