front end shaking

I have a '93 Ford Explorer with the XLT trim. When I get up to about

63MPH the passenger seat starts to vibrate and shake along with the steering wheel a little. This continues to 75MPH when it stops. The tires have all been balanced and they're all new, and an alignments been done also. Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Reply to
nelsoninmaryland

Tires and wheels don't have to be round to be balanced, but being out-of-round will cause vibrations. Since the tires are new, (and presuming that the problem wasn't there before), tires would be the first suspect. There may be a manufacturing defect.

Another possibility is that the wheel and tire high spots are aligned, again creating an out-of-round situation. This can usually be solved by re-mounting the tire at roughly 180 degrees from where it was mounted. The assembly must be re-balanced of course.

The wheel may also have a small flat spot that didn't cause problems before, but is now. If it is a steel wheel, the tire shop might try to hammer it out, but replacement is probably a better idea. If it is an aluminum wheel (ah, the XLT trim!), then a wheel repair shop can probably straighten it.

There are other more obscure possibilities, but these are the most likely given that you have new tires.

Dan

(This account is not used for email.)

Reply to
Dan Beaton

Since the steering wheel picks up the vibration, that indicates one(both) front tire(s) is(are) improper--may just need re-balancing; or, it may be out of round. Like another poster so aptly put it, even a square tire can be balanced, although it will not ride smoothly. If this be the case, it needs trueing and then re-balancing. HTH, s

Reply to
sdlomi2

Thankyou just the answer I was hoping for. I'll check these things out. Thanx again.

Reply to
nelsoninmaryland

ok thanx for info

Reply to
nelsoninmaryland

Take it back for a re-balance and ask the tech to look carefully for any out-of-round or wobble in the tire and for any indication of a bent rim when on the balancing machine.

Reply to
John S.

ok will do thx

Reply to