front wheel bearing: knuckle seal & lube? (Chevy)

('99 Cavalier)

(1) FWB/hub needs to be replaced. The new one includes a "knuckle seal", which presses into the knuckle on the inboard side of the bearing. The hub I removed didn't have one, and the Chevy service manual doesn't say anything about one.

I'd just as soon not put the seal in, since it would require pulling the drive shaft, which means removing (and probably replacing) the ball joint. Is the seal critical/helpful/not-very-important?

(2) Back in the day, we used to pack front wheel bearings every six months or so. The book doesn't say anything about greasing this one, so I assume I should just leave it alone?

Thanks, George

Reply to
George