How to remove number plate screw covers?

I want to temporarily take off the number plates on my car, and am unsure how to first remove the small black plastic covers that protect the screws or bolts. Do I take a pair of pliers to each of them and twist or pull? Presumably they will then be damaged, so where do I buy replacements? I assume they are a standard size?

Any practical advice would be appreciated please.

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell ( snipped-for-privacy@dial.pipex.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Or a very small flat bladed screwdriver. They're usually a little cup that fits behind the self-tapper screw, then a cover the clicks on. Have a very close look round the edge, and you'll see how they fit together. Then a small levering opposite the hinge, and bing!

Depends how big a ham-fisted muppet you are. I always bugger 'em up. Some don't. Halfrauds or any decent car spares place. Pennies.

Reply to
Adrian

They're usually a cup with a top that clicks in. If you look closely you should see the join. A small screwdriver will separate them. Other types cover the cup completely. In which case a screwdriver between plate and cup should do it.

Halfords or any accessory shop should have spares.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks both. Halfords didn't have black, and only sold them with screws included, so I bought one pack for containing one white, one yellow! So if I do break 1 or more of the 4 originals on the 2 plates (almost inevitable) I'll have to paint them. Daylight robbery at £1.44!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Yellow for the rears, white for the fronts.

Black, depending on the position, might leave you open to accusations of trying to disguise your number e.g. a conveniemtly placed balk screw head can make a C look like a G etc etc.

Reply to
R. Murphy

R. Murphy ( snipped-for-privacy@murphy9100.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

As might white/yellow, depending on the position - 1 to i, for eg

Reply to
Adrian