fuel delivery system questions??

My 95 ford taurus won't start. It cranks fine, but won't take off.

I have spark. I have 40psi fuel pressure at the test port. I have changed the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator. I discovered after the fuel pump change that 10 gallons of gas are needed to prime the pump. Once I topped it off, it began to start. That lasted about 5 days. Now I am back to a no start, no code condition.

The unknown symptom to me is this... when you turn the key before fully engaging the ignition, you can hear the fuel pump running. However, it never stops running. Normally a pump will engage for a few seconds and then shut off. What can cause this?

I have 40 psi fuel pressure when the pump engages and it does not bleed down quickly. What about the return check valve?

Any wisdom is appreciated.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk

"Dirk" wrote in news:1165882236.261021.106440@

79g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

1) 10 gals. of fuel is not needed to 'prime' pump 2) besides fuel pres. you need the injectors to pulse. have you connected a test lamp to assure injecter pulse? 3) yes, pump should only run for about 5 seconds and shut down if ECM doesnt receive ignition pulses. ECM sends ground signal to control circuit of pump relay (now, if some modern brain has rewired circuit, all bets are off!...ive seen it done where pump runs at 'key on' constantly).
Reply to
KjunRaven

ok. I checked the injectors...and.... no pulse. so, Now I am stumped for sure.

I have no codes at all showing, not even 11. I read elsewhere on the group that I might be able to jump the posts on the eec-iv test connectors and get the engine light to flash the codes in the dash. My haynes manual said it wasn't possible on the '95 but I will try anyway. I have nothing to lose now except more time!

I swapped out the fuel pump and return check valve today. Thought that might be the culprit since I was only pushing around 35 psi this morning. But to no avail.

Yes, I realize now that I should have checked injector pulse early in my journey! Hey, what can I say, I've never had this level of trouble before. I'm learning. I've got the gas-soaked clothes to prove it!

I'm not sure what might cause the injectors not to fire. Any help is appreciated.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk