Deliberate blocking of keyless entry, or just accidental effect of something else?

Apparently the keyless entry on Vlad the Impala does not work at my local Harris Teeter. The last time I was there, I noticed when exiting the store that I had to open my door with the key. I just assumed at the time that either a) there was a fault in the car's system since it's been flaky since new - most annoying symptom is not unlocking all the doors on the second button press like it's suppose to - or b) batteries finally going dead in the remote. Well, it worked when I got home and has been working since. Tonight I stopped at the store again on my way home from work and the remote again did not work when leaving the store. It worked again when I got home. Both times the "lock" command apparently worked as the doors were locked when I came out of the store, but they would not unlock without the key.

Is this some kind of active jamming that the store is doing to prevent people from unlocking other people's cars in the parking lot and ransacking their stuff? Or is this just an unintentional side effect of something else? It has only ever happened at this one Harris Teeter, and unfortunately I only have the one car with keyless entry so I can't say whether it affects any other vehicles.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This, in short, is what happens when you use unlicensed radio spectrum that is shared by everyone under the sun. You get interference from all kinds of other sources.

If it were actually licensed spectrum, you could call the FCC and maybe they might show up with a spectrum analyzer some day. But in the unlicensed ISM bands, it's basically a free-for-all.

It will affect other vehicles, although maybe not all of them. But unless you want to try and pick it up on a scanner with a directional antenna and track the source down, you'll have a hard time interesting anyone. It is almost certainly unintentional.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Probably pretty unlikely Nate. Too much liability and violation of Federal law if they got caught. More than likely all the electronics there is interfering with your microwave transmissions. There is a Radio Shack nearby in which my cell phone absolutely refuses to work. All the RF screws a lot of things up.

Reply to
« Paul »

Did you look back to see if your remote either opens or closes HT's automatic doors? Bet they are on same frequency! s

Reply to
sdlomi2