Gas in Oil

It's an '87 ford tempo 2.3 L with lots of miles on it. 175,000. She was driving it OK when it just quit at a redlight. She had it towed to a repair shop and had it fixed. They listed the repairs on the bill and one of them was an oil change due to gas in the oil. With 175,000 miles on it I know the engine is getting ready for some work. It doesn't burn oil [yet] and the car is rarely used. Now that I have it to maintain, what are the causes for gas in the oil? I don't know how much was in there because I heard about all of this on the phone. Would a head gasket be getting to go out? Personally I think it should be retired but she's bent on keeping it fixed because it was her first car. Any thoughts?

Reply to
mbjj

Probably, whatever else is on the repair bill that you neglected to mention was the real reason for changing the oil. Hopefully whatever that was is now fixed. For instance, if the engine stalled because it was flooded and the oil was very dirty to begin with it would be reasonable to change the oil (as well as fix whatever caused the flooding) and give the reason as gas in the oil even if they didn't bother to ascertain precisely how much gas had gotten into the oil.

-jim

Reply to
jim

That would normally mean it died from an ignition problem so got flooded and gas washed into the oil. This can happen with any age of vehicle. It is an effect, not a cause of trouble.

Mike

Mike Romain