Getting fuel line compression fittings leak free

It's brass.

I'll be listening for that when I take another shot at the problem. The tank is still about 1/2 full, so I'll wait till it gets a bit lower before opening the connection. I've learned it doesn't have to be completely empty.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Ok, here is a thought....

A plumbers copper pipe cutter, the kind with a cutting wheel and rollers, has this arrowhead shaped blade on the back side that pulls out like a pocket knife blade. This tool is used to ream out the inside of the cut pipe because it dimples in when cut which causes water noises in the plumbing. When reamed properly fittings are silent.

I think I would use this blade to ream out the inside of the gas tank fitting to make sure the coating isn't uneven causing the ferule to not seat square. Basically I would make a new seat for the ferule with this tool.

Barring that I think I would give up and use a piece of gas line hose or the more common transmission line hose, cut off the tank fitting, cut off the line fitting and use the hose and clamps on it and be done with it.

It is low pressure so a normal worm gear clamp will work, but they make better clamps with a closed in band for high pressure (FI engine) gas lines.

Mike

Mike Romain