Type 1 Fuel System

I'm new to the VW world and learning fast. I just purchased a nice 71 bug, and it has the slight gas smell in the cabin. I suspect the filler hose or the filler hose back flow hose?? Does anybody have a type 1 fuel system schematic (showing the hoses and vents) or a link to one? I have a rubber tube that goes from the charcoal canister (located up front next to the tank, mounted on the passenger side inside the trunk by the front wheel, Hmmmm) > the hose connects to a thinner plastic tube > the tube goes around the back of the trunk and runs under the trunk lip (below the windshield), behind the fresh air fan box and back out the other side, and is just cut off. I can hold the end of it, just lays there next to the tank. Please post a type 1 fuel system schematic or a link to one. I can use all the help I can get.

Thanks, more questions to come.

JW

Reply to
Jakalope

From your descrip, this must be on a Super, not a Std; they are different.

See if this link helps:

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

That hose goes to a small nipple on the drivers side front of the tank. If you don't have one then someone has changed the tank for some cheapy type. If it is not there then you are just smelling the old VW smell. For some reason it seems that 3/4's of them have it. Most of the time it is the filler tube getting old and needs to be changed.

Reply to
Packrat46

It is a standard, the spare tire stands/leans up in front and the front suspension give it away. I'm sure it has been fiddled with a bit. Thanks for the quick reply.

Reply to
Jakalope

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll play with it more when I get home tonight. I suspect the filler tube as well (for the smell) but I won't be driving/filling up again until spring (I'm in Wisconsin). That gives me the winter to work on it. I'm also a first time garage mechanic. I just wish I could find a good diagram of the std bug fuel vent system. I have seen some for the super, Speedy Jim's links helped, but the Std and Super are different. Also, anybody have anything to say about Nelson's VW in Rockford IL or Connie's in Watertown WI. Two Bug shops I'm looking at to do some springtime tweaking. Again, thanks for all the help!! I can't wait to drive this car again. I can't keep my hands off it. Must fix something. Just chromed my wiper arms....because I could.

Reply to
Jakalope