Ack!!!! Undercar fuel line replacement?!?!

Ok, here's what happened - yesterday, I hit some sort of debris on Rt3 in NJ. Well, anyway, it apparently punched a hole in the return line, right under the driver's side door where it bends inward.

It's plastic, and patching it's gonna be a bitch, cause it's on the curve.

How hard is it to just replace the whole line with one from a junker? I'm away from my big toolbox, but I do have a small garage and space to patch things up....

*sigh*

Thanks for any help/advice! :)

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

I'm not sure how to do this job, but I do know you are on the right path. Patching the fuel line is a no-no.

Maybe Lane has the info on this one?

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Right now, I've got the replacement on order from the dealer. $72 for a freaking hose. The used places out here will NOT sell you a used one. nobody sells patchup kits. Well, I've got to patch it to get it home, maybe i'll just slap some JB Weld over it or wrap it in e tape or whatever. It's the _return_ line, not high pressure, and at worst, it'll just leak onto the ground - it's nowhere near the exhaust/cat.

Big deal, if the car burns, at least I've got an excuse to finally dump the thing.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

In a pinch, you can cut out the damaged section and slip the next larger size of neoprene fuel line over the ends and secure with clamps. Don't know what the other models use but on my LW300, they use plastic (Nylon?) tubes for fuel feed, return and vapor. The lines are held in plastic clamps on the underside of the chassis. Removing the end from any fitting involves squeezing the green locker and gently pulling the tube out of the O-ring seal. Mating is the opposite, push in the tube then press in the green keeper till it clicks.

Reply to
Oppie

Even though this is a low pressure line and you probably could rig a patch with a hose and some clamps, it's not worth the risk (IMO). The $72 that Philip mentioned isn't bad as far as OEM parts costs go. I recently priced out replacement O-rings for the fuel injectors, and a set costs more than that.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

For a temp patch, try Seals All. I've used it to stop a running fuel leak from a punctured tank.

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Never mind. I didn't see your posting that you replaced it before I posted this.

Reply to
NapalmHeart