Grandmom needs some advice

x-no-archive: yes Hi .. well, I'm a senior and need to buy a GOOD used car with low mileage. Sure need some expert advice like you fellas give on this newsgroup. I'm driving a mint condition '87 Plymouth Gran Fury with only 39K actual miles. The car is just getting too big for me to handle well and drive safely. I Would like to buy, reasonably as possible, a GOOD used car .. door, midsize, Manual transmission,AC,Bench seats (if they make them anymore

Reply to
moonbeam

A Honda Accord would have everything but the bench seat and probably the manual transmission. For less, you should consider the the Honda Civic higher end for the electric doors etc. Look for one 2 or 3 yrs old that has been serviced regularly. It will last at least 200,000 miles if cared for. I have had many cars and think Honda is the best for the money. My wifes Accord EX runs and feels like cars costing $10,000 more.

Toyota has a reputation for good reliability as well, but I have not owned any. You might look at the Corolla. My wife has had a couple of Nissans. They were well made, but not as reliable as the Hondas. I drive a 1989 Civic, which we tow behind a motor home. Very basic reliable car that's fun to drive.

I'm sure you will get lots of suggesti> x-no-archive: yes

Reply to
phil w

x-no-archive: yes Thank you very much .. yours is the only reply I've gotten so far. I made the mistake of saying Manual transmission

Reply to
moonbeam

snipped-for-privacy@home.com

Your best bet is a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla! I had Civic's for Years can't beat them very good cars and great on gas.

Reply to
Bobby R

Hell yeah. While I'm going to add insult to injury by saying that a Grand Fury looks like a glassic grandma car, mechanically it is dead nuts reliable and you will be hard pressed to find a better car in terms of reliability and durability. I assume it has either a 318 or 360 V-8? If you were close to me I might be interested because I need a cheap drive to work car and I could care less what it looks like as long as I can trust it.

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

x-no-archive: yes Oh .. ya'll are so nice and informative .. It's the size of this beautiful Gran Fury ! I don't have any driving problems per see ,, Either I've gotten littler or the car has grown ;) it wasn't *that* big

10 years ago ;) .. It's Houston,the traffic, the maneuvering in and out of traffic and **Parking** the car in the tight straight on parking spaces. I've kept the car in just perfect condition ! It's funny.. just about once a month in the parking lots, I've have "Lady" (the car's name) in the parking lot,I'll be lugging my groceries out to the car and there will be a group of guys standing around my car wanting to ask me all about it..and IF I mind if they look under the hood..They love the BIG engine ! Yep .. they just stare in "Shock and Awe" .. It's a custom made car,too. All maroon inside.. power everything.. and I just need to be 6' tall and 170 lbs. Been cking online for Honda's.. I'll let you know what I find out.. I'll take a digital photo of "lady" and put it in my email..and let you know and you can have a look at my outgrown car. thanks again Houston snipped-for-privacy@houston.rr.com
Reply to
moonbeam

The thing about little ol lady cars is that they never see the mechanic for regular maintenance. I have seen and appraised a few of these so called creampuffs and man they were rats. No offence but most ol ladys are cheap and penny pinchers. I wouldn't buy any car from an old lady..

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
moonbeam

I read your earlier post, and frankly was thinking what I would tell my Mom, if she were alive, about buying a car today.

Hondas are good. Many of the Japanese cars are good, but the American cars have their places too. (Well, Ford is still not on my honey list)

Automatic transmissions among the various manufacturers can vary a bit in durability.. Most are good but some manufacturers have had some versions that were dogs and others that were great. No blanket condemnation.

I suggest that you go out and look, test drive, some cars on car lots. Find some that appeal to you, sit well, drive comfortably. You need a car that you can see out of, and feel comfortable and safe in driving.

When you have some reference points, then come back and ask about certain models and brands. There should be people around who have experience with almost anything you can find.

AND, you can get into a pretty darn good used car in the $5-10,000 range. As you go lower in price, you may have to accept somewhat higher mileage, older car, etc.

Some of the newer cars probably drive so much better than your old Chrysler product did that you will be astonished.

I, personally, own or have owned Volkswagen Passat....a nice car, but mine was 5 speed Buick Regal ...........a wonderful car, had the occasional problem. Dodge van................the bigger one, no Cadillac, but no problems.

Buick LeSabre.........wonderful road car, one or two mechanical problems

The Passat might have been the best car of the bunch, if you take everything into consideration.

Good luck with your car hunting.

Reply to
Larry Smith

! My Gran Fury

There has not

colors ! The

are your house

ease of driving ..

a really OLD

Ah 66 years old isn't old. I'm talking late 70's early 80's, that's old and that's when ol Ladys just run their cars into the ground with lack of maintenance and getting dings and dents. Men at that age do it too unless they pride in what they drive like you do. :-)

Nothing personal with you. It's just my opinion. The only time a vehicle that is owned by someone elderly would be something sitting in a barn or garage under a cover. Daily drivers, I'll pass. :-)

Yes Maam! I could see you in a Jeep Rubicon if you ask me. Move over Laura Croft, here comes Gramma.. :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
kgold

Stick with Mopar- get a Cirrus or Stratus.I'm afraid you'll find that the Honda, while reliable, has a cheap plastic feel compared to what you're used to. My mother-in-law is probably about your age and loves her 2.0-liter/automatic Cirrus and actually drives quite a few miles per year. The Honda or Toyota might be a tad more reliable than the Cirrus, but with the kind of miles you obviously put on a car, you're not going to have any trouble with EITHER. So get the one that feels more like a solid car that you're used to.

Be warned, no matter how much the Honda and Toyota crowd justifiably jumps up and down about their "great reliability," no Honda or Toyota (or any current front-drive car) is going to come CLOSE to the brutal, simple, ruggedness of your Gran Fury. If you must sell it, make sure that Gran Fury goes to a good home! :-)

Reply to
Steve