Thinking about a second car Need some opinions???

My first Car was a Rusty floor equipped 1979 280ZX that was my pride and joy despite its low HP, leaky injectors and funky radio controls. It was a sad sad day when she left me. I felt more comfortable in my 87 RX7, but it was quirky at times and never was a good choice as a construction workers car. My current ride is a 96 Taurus GL Wagon. Holds lots of stuff, easy to drive, boring, and owe only Another $`1500 on it with

145000 miles. While a pain in the ass to fix its woes, its ok for work. (I hate trucks) I miss my sport cars!

So while reading the auto traders, checking the ad's, scooping the auctions i've got some car choices to bounce off you folks. With Price being roughly equal, what would you go for ? 1st Gen 300ZX, A 86-91 Toyota Supra, Another 2nd Gen 86-91 Mazda RX7, A really nice 280zx, Just to be different a 92 Subaru SVX (yeah the funky window thing), or a reasonably untrashed american product, Etc.?????

280ZX would be great! But hard to find in the Northeast in nice shape or they are real nice and cost to much.

1st gen 300ZX???? Never liked the design much, kinda slow, but sporty and available.

86-91 RX7: My second car was a 87 2+2 I bought at a auction for $800 because everybody else wanted a SUV or a Honda. Loved its ride, handling, top speed ability, cargo room and looks. Hated the fuel injection flooding, the oddball spark plugs,and lack of rotary knowledgeable mechanics!! VERY hard to find used RX7's. Most used car dealers want SUVs or sedans that will move off the lot rather than a 2 seater. While 1st Gen's and even 3rd gens are arround,I've seen only a handfull on the road, on the lot, or on ebay to consider. If it only had a 5.0 like V8 it would be perfect.

Supra's: Always in the shadow of the Rx7 & Z cars. It seems like a decent design, equipment is ok, power is ok and available some what. How does it stack up to the others????? Opinions???

The SVX: Odd choice to be sure. But I checked a beautiful all working itemed & undented, dealer serviced, never tuched the spare ever 1992 model at a small used lot the other day. While it had 120,000 mlies on it At $2750, it looked like a steal. Very comfortable, seated 4,sunroof that works factory hideaway cd/cassette stereo, powerful v6, All wheel drive !! A more adult car for a 33 yr old. Minuses: Its a Subaru SVX, It's more rarer to find than any thing! it's green (Well aleast a nice green), & research says tranys can be a issue, And like the Supra, a unknown quantity. Can I realy be Fast & Furious in a SVX???????

None of the above: Save money for newer Taurus? Try a to supe up a Trans Am & live out my Burt Renyolds flash backs or even the 80'sish El Camino I say yesterday ? Beg for a commpany Truck while I pay off the Ford( company Ford rangers & 150's)??? Or Save the earth and buy a Huffy?

Anybody got a thought??? Expend some brain cells on this and share..........

Lana snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com :-\

Reply to
Tiger

But are reliable and cheap to keep up.

They can have some weird problems and expencive FI issues but otherwise are reliable.

The engines don't hold up. 99.9% of the calls we get on these is people looking for prices on engine rebuilds. Two classes these fall into: either they need an engine or they just had one. The only ones worth anything are the convertables.

Yep especially if it'a an automatic. But they are fast and are....different?!

Reply to
Steve T

Assuming you are in the USA. A 89-94 240SX fastback with an import SR20DET - 205bhp so it will shift quite well (0-60 mid/low 6's), easy to tune for mid 5's = 350Z. Much lighter so it can be chucked around pretty much the same and stay in shape. For a 2+2 coupe it's big inside and has back seats that are usable (under 5' 6") at least for short runs unlike my neighbours Jag XKR. Big but shallow trunk and with the back seat down it will take lots of stuff in the back, 26" frame bicycle without removing a wheel, shower doors (up on head rest), 10ft coper pipe. Made from galvanised sheet but they didn't seal the cut edges so it will rot at every joint and screw hole.

Nice'un by Nissan 180SX/200SX/240SX R(P)S13 the ultimate sports utility vehicle.

Reply to
Peter Hill