car audio advice

I finally gave in to the pressures of practicality and bought a primula estate last week, in replacement for the passat. General impressions
are good; it's vastly better than the VW to fling about the countryside, and the 2.0 engine, whilst initially feeling a bit gutless, responds well to revs and makes the car fun to take by the scruff of the neck.
The only significant problem is that the standard fit speakers are *awful*, so I thought I'd ask on here for advice. I'd like to stick to units which fit in the original mounts - no subs taking up half the boot space, for example. I haven't taken the grilles off yet, but looking at their sizes, I reckon it has 13cms at the front and 16s at the back, with tweeter units at the top of the side pillars.
The headunit which is in at the minute is some cheapo Clarion thing. I have no objection to replacing that, but my total max budget is probably under 300.
Anyway, general advice and suggestions for places to look for kit much appreciated.
Over to you, chaps...

I have one of these bought from this guy in the Vee -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/07-Series-Pioneer-DEH-P6950IB-CD-MP3-IPOD-USB-Headunit_W0QQitemZ270159221018QQihZ017QQcategoryZ39762QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The iso doesn't have a connector block on the car-end tho, but I'm sure a electronics skilled guy like yourself could sort that heh. I just paid a man a tenner to put one on for me. It's a great unit for the cash.
I also have one of these under the passenger seat -
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-TS-WX22A-SEALED-AMPLIFIED-SUBWOOFER-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ150154622493QQihZ005QQcategoryZ18805QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Which is very impressive for it's size - comes complete with a wiring kit and the lot.
I haven't done the speakers yet - cos I found the headunit improved sound quality loads so it's not as pressing anymore.
--
Dan
Mk1 Clio V6

I have a JVC head unit and boot mounted CD Changer here if is of any interest. Not looking for a fortune.
Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Albert T

I've got a Nakamichi CD400 (I think) in the Range Rover and it's brilliant. Picked it up new off ebay for 200 about 18 months ago.
Speakerwise I'm using a set of Pioneers I bought in Halfrauds that cost about 60 but they're pretty good for the front doors.
--
Pete M - That Scouse Git - OMF#9

W&P Range Rover V8 Turbo

Nakamichi rocks. But for mainstream stuff Alpine is a good buy.
--
... a descant soul in the setting sun ...

Pete M wrote:

Nice headunit (got one in my FD RX-7 after getting fed up with the Alpine). Can be a bit problematic (some reports of CD drive problems) but superb sound quality.
Really need a decent amp and speakers, though. Oh, and mine only cost me a hundred quid :)

Not a big fan of the Pioneers, TBH. Which reminds me, I need to get off my arse and dremel out the speaker mounts on the RX-7 so they take the 'proper' speakers intended for the car.
--
'89 Mazda RX-7 Convertible
'92 Mazda RX-7

I've had no issues with mine, I don't know it that is luck or whatever. It's been faultless.

I've got some German made amp which I got from a friend who builds Sound Off cars. Rather good too. Don't know what it's called, I shall have a look sometime, it's firing through an Alpine something or other sub I've had for years.

Neither am I, but I was bored on a Sunday afternoon, the front speakers were the original 20 yr old jobs and I was near Halfrauds. They had the best spec for the money so I bought 'em. Only takes 2 mins to put front speakers in a Rangie so I fitted 'em in the car park.
--
Pete M - That Scouse Git - OMF#9

W&P Range Rover V8 Turbo

You wouldn't happen to have an amp lying around would you? I'm tempted to be a pikey and fit Jag speakers to my golf but they're 6 ohm so I need a bit of power... I've got actual cash and everything.
managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I'll have a look around, don't know what I've got to be honest.
If not, I have contacts in a few decent audio shops.
--
Pete M - That Scouse Git - OMF#9

W&P Range Rover V8 Turbo

OTOH it may be easier and cheaper to get a set of decent components for the Golf...
Pete M wrote:

Found some 6.5" pioneer units I got from Dan years ago, sat on a shelf gathering dust, so they've gone in the front doors, after a small amount of filing to clear the mounting screws. This has helped things quite a lot. The cheapo clarion headunit still sucks donkey bits, so I reckon I'll try bunging an old JVC unit I have sat around in and see if that helps. I am watching a nak CD400 on ebay at the minute, and am thinking about getting an under-seat sub of the general type suggested by Dan.
Anyway, thanks to all for the advice.

Those speakers were well good at the time :-) The Sub i mentioned elsewhere in the thread is sweet as well, gives impressive bass, especially for something so small. Sounds *LOADS* better (and indeed louder) than many 10" or 12" boxed things.
--
Dan
Mk1 Clio V6
Iridium wrote:

Heh, the only thing I'd got round to using them for was to find some small ball bearings from a ball-race on my bike, which I'd dropeed on the floor. The whacking big magnets found them for me quite effectively :-D Was quite chuffed when I found they were the right size for the primula. I'll have a think about getting one of the subs you suggested. I'm just not sure I can be arsed ripping the carpets up to run cables. I'm such a lazy sod... hehe.

Comes with a wiring kit, and been quite low power the cables aren't huge. I just tucked them under the sill bit, was pretty easy. The most annoying bit is getting through the bulkhead somewhere for the power lead to get to the battery. If you have a beemer, it's easy, cos the battery is conveniently under the rear seat :-) (E34s they are anyway).
--
Dan
Mk1 Clio V6

How do you make a sub stay under a seat? Obviously you could just bolt it to the floor but you stand a fair chance of a rear passenger kicking the fuck out of it or it getting nicked after a short arse has driven the car...

Velcro.

Is the right answer. And been that there is no back seats anyway, I simply don't allow the passenger seat to be moved.
--
Dan
Mk1 Clio V6
Albert T Cone wrote:

I've got a set of these:
http://tinyurl.com/28pj7h
The 6.5" were just the right size to fit in the parcel shelf under the OEM grilles, in the existing holes so that was nice and stealthy. I screwed the crossovers to the bottom of the shelf as they weigh nothing, which let me retain the screw connector; the 306 parcel shelf has some handy trunking to hide the wire away so it made a nice tidy install. I mounted the tweeters high up in the rear, as you do.
Sound quality with my Sony head unit is pretty decent, big improvement over the OEM piddling things.
They were about 50 from Halfords IIRC, so probably 40 elsewhere lol
--
Abo

I once bought a set of Alpine speakers online for 40 IIRC. They were 80 in Halfords.

Well, if you are going to do that, you might as well get something with a bluetooth handsfree built in and do two with one. -- Carl Robson Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest Homepage: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com