Do I need plio-bond on a gasket?

Getting a replacement set of water pump gaskets - made by Fel-Pro - pump to block type of gasket made out of some special fiber/paper? Any recommendations to coat the gasket with additional plio-bond or other gasket sealant?

I have a spray on copper gasket sealant and wonder if it does any good

- or as the saying goes "it wouldn't hurt..." to use it as an additional safety measure.

Reply to
hal

"hal" wrote

I wouldn't bother with water pump gaskets. In fact, on the GM vehicles that I work on, coating gaskets with anything hasn't been done for years. I've seen techs that "believe" that coating gaskets is good end up regretting their decision. A lot of the newer gaskets already have special sealers imbedded in the gasket at the appropriate places.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

This is often true.

An exception I remember is a Pontiac Fiero I rebuilt (reengineered, actually) with thefour cylinder Iron Puke engine, and found that I could not use some of the gaskets as supplied for the cooling system. They invariably leaked.

I installed them with RTV Blue silicone, left it a couple of hours to cure and still leaked. Redid it yet again with RTV and allowed it to cure overnight. This time it held.

The recall work on this engine done by the dealership included gluing nearly everything back together with Blue RTV. I don't like the concept, but it was probably the cheapo patch fix GM was looking for.

Reply to
Larry Smith