Need some help on the grand ams.

I am dead set on purchasing a grand am because i like the price and ive heard good things about them but i dont know what style and speed to purchase. What is the difference between a se and a se1? is it basically the trim? i know they both come in a 4 cylinder and a v6 but do i have to purchase the v6 to get a good car? what i mean is i know the v6's tend to cost a little more but are the 4 cylinders good enough to get me to where i need to go? I have heard that even for a 4 cylinder they go pretty fast and are good enough. So what do you recommend? any info will be appreciated.

Reply to
PETER MURPHY

Great site for some info.

jd

My sister used to have a 2004 Grand Am GT, which she bought brand new. Totally loaded, except leather. The car was wrote off in an accident over a year ago, and she liked it so much she went out and bought a 2003 Grand Am GT, also totally loaded, but this time with leather. The only reason she bought an older model was she didn't want the lease payments anymore, and she really rings up the KM's. As for the cars, they are both 2-doors, which I personally don't like, as I am used to a 4-door, but they are comfortable to drive. I do find it small (but I drive a Bonneville), but the thing corners incredible, and the 3400 V6 with RamAir makes the thing go like crazy. As for which engine you would want, that's totally up to you. If you are worrying about fuel cost, or insurance (most insurance companies will have a much cheaper rate for a 4-door SE with a 4 cylinder, then a 4-door GT with the V6), then the 4 cylinder would be the way to go. If you want the car to *move*, then I suggest the V6. As for 'toys' such as power windows, locks, mirrors, sunroof, CD/MP3, that is also up to you. My sisters current Grand Am had the upgraded Monsoon sound system, but she still took it out and put in a Pioneer CD/MP3 deck. It sounds great. Now that I am thinking about it, I have a friend with a 2002 (I believe) Grand Am GT 4-door. It's a nice car too. Doesn't handle as well as the

2-door model, but it will still take the corners. Your best bet would be to test drive both the 4 cylinder and the V6. If you feel the 4 has enough power for you, then no need to upgrade to the V6. If you feel the car barley moves, then you might be happier with the V6. Just remember, cars aren't something most people buy and sell all the time, so make sure you get what you want, for the price you want before you buy it. :)

Sorry for the rant, but if you have any other questions about the look, feel, or driving experience of either car, let me know and I will try my best to answer.

Reply to
80 Knight

Ty so much for responding to my last post, you were very helpful. Basically i already test drove a 4 cylinder and i was very happy with the speed it goes for a 4 cylinder. Also, alot of 4 cylinders already have power windows, power locks, air bags etc and a pretty good stereo system already. Imo, unless you plan on racing then why do you really need to upgrade to a v6 when a 4 cylinder is enough for you? A gt is way out of my price range and t me that's more of a show car then anything else and like you im not too big on the 2 doors either. I also find the

4 cylinders to be much cheaper as far as insurance goes and much better on fuel. Also, the ppl that i know that have v6's and gt's pay over 300 a month on insurance. Do you think a 4 cylinder is fast enough as far as getting to where you need to go? and last i checked the 5 speed was only available with a 4 cylinder. So overall, do you think 4 cylinders handle pretty good on the road? And also your sister must be rich to purchase a brand new gt. thanks again
Reply to
PETER MURPHY

So whats your problem? Don't purchase one.

Reply to
sal

He's dead set ON, not against purchasing one Sal. I had to read it twice myself.

Peter, I find my 2001 3.4l SE1 (4 dr) to be quite comfortable responsive, good handling and reasonably efficient. This from a guy who drove a BMW previously; it was an older one and I inherited the GA with only 14,000 miles, so dumped the BMW. Now it has 55,000 and I still like driving it. The

3.4 engines usually have gasket issues, so beware, been there. GM fixed it for $300 as it was out of warranty.

Good luck

Reply to
doane_nut

Reply to
Alfmeister

grand ams are poorly made. you can replace a hub and 6 months later it goes again and they say it is common. yeah it is soooo common let me mind you 1 hub will set you back 270 dollars

Reply to
valeriecara

Buy a better hub.

Reply to
80 Knight

Sorry Peter, I kind of lost this thread in the clutter that is my newsreader.

I personally, have always liked the 6 cylinder's. I just think the 4's don't have enough power to get me going on the highway. But, like I said, that is totally personal preference. If you are happy with the power from a 4 cylinder, then that would be the way to go.

The GT's are basically a 'tougher' version of the Grand Am. Dual exaust, leather (sometimes), awesome stereo, awesome chrome rims (sometimes), but that is all preferance too. If you want something that just get's you from point A to point B, then go for the cheaper one.

4's will usually get better mileage, but my sisters V6 (3.4L) get's damned good mileage, and can go like a bat out of hell.

Insurance all depends on age, gender, driving, and stuff like that. I own a '96 Bonneville, that is top of the line, with a supercharged engine, and I only pay $77 a month to insure it, with full coverage. If you are under 25, or have speeding tickets, then yes, you will be paying much more. The insurance companies usually consider the GT's more 'sportier' then the regular models.

Like I said, it's all personal preference. My car has a good 60 horse-power over my sister's Grand Am, and I can certainly tell the difference when I drive her car, but her car will still move damned quick.

I haven't seen many 5-speed's in Grand Am's around here (Ontario, Canada). I have seen a few Oldsmobile Alero's (the sister-car of the Grand Am) with the

5 speed, but I don't think I have ever seen a Grand Am with one up close.

Well, if you are talking about going from point A to point B, then sure, the

4 cylinder is great. If you want to be able to do 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, and corner like a sports car, then the GT is the way to go. As for my sister, she's not rich. She actually leased the brand new Grand Am, but decided to purchase the older one after the brand new one was wrote off.

Anyhow, good luck to you on your purchase, which ever way you go! :)

Reply to
80 Knight

comfortable

I don't know about the later v6, but when i got my '93 4 cyl manual tranny GA, a coworker with a 6 automatic tranny GA lusted after it since my car blew his away for accel. Dont write off the 4, 150 or so hp from a small 4 cyl, i can remember when I had a ford with 302 v8 that had less hp. Not that you can race it, I have never had it past 80 mph and it was pushing it to get it there.

Reply to
john graesser