Headgasket sealant: I try stuff so you don't have to!

I think I need about 12K! We'll see! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I don't know where you get that idea, Chrysler transmissions are pretty much the gold standard. The Torqueflite in my car has been working great for over 30 years, needing no attention other than the occasional fluid and filter change.

Reply to
Roger Blake

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

You're kidding, right?

Reply to
Calab

Don't let any dogs or cats lap up any of that antifreeze.That stuff can kill them. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I believe we might be talking about two different barsleak products. It sounds like the one you are using is the one I like that has the plastic balls in it. You don't have to drain the radiator down for this one and it works most of the time for quite awhile. If it was to fail, I'd apply it again.

The other one may be what I've heard of recently that is suppose to put some kind of glass coat on or something like that. The only person I've heard of that used this type said it didn't work for them. The plastic ball type has worked a couple of times for me and is much less hassle to use. Barsleak makes a lot of products, some work and some don't and I suppose it makes a difference on what the particular problem is and how the product was applied. The gray to black liquid with the grayish balls in it is what I've found to work the best on gasket leaks in the subs. Some other manufacturers make a similar product. It was one of these I used successfully the first time I learned about this stuff.

Reply to
Bob Noble

Actually, risk of poorly milled heads is what I had in mind when I wrote above.

M.J.

Reply to
M.J.

I didn't mean to imply that I thought you were doing the wrong thing in using it. I was just amazed at how much prep work was needed before you even broke the seal on the can.

There's risk associated with just getting out of bed in the morning, so that isn't a good reason for using it but cost is. The last time I pulled a head to replace a head gasket was on a '49 Merc flat-head V8. That was like pulling the head on my lawn mower. I don't know what kind of work you'd have in pulling the head on your Subaru.

Jack

Reply to
Retired VIP

If you are going to remove the cylinder head (or cylinder heads) on a car/truck/van.After you drain the coolant and oil, loosen up the head bolts a few turns and bump the starter motor once or twice.I have never needed to do that on any cylinder heads I removed.I once read somewhere that is suppose to loosen the cylinder head(s) to make it easier to lift them off. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

In World War Two, Ford build some B-24D Liberator Aircraft at their Willow Run factory.At one end of the factory, there was a big turn table built into the floor.It was something to do with when they rolled the Aircraft out of the factory, they wouldn't be rolling them into an ajoining County/across that other County line. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

the 727 Torqueflight is still one of the strongest automatic transmissions ever made up till about '95.

Reply to
nobody >

This is the key statement.

Chrysler went to ATF +3, and then to ATF +4.

Problem was, their customers stayed with Dexron/Mercon. Doesn't work in a Chrysler tranny...

Reply to
Hachiroku

My 1978 Dodge van has an automatic transmission.(I wish it was a manual shift transmission.I bought the van in late 1989) So, what fluid and brand name fluid should I buy for the tranamission? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Almost every import my family has owned has been as or more trouble prone then any "American" car they have owned.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It wasn't Barrs. K&W sounds familiar. The instructions were identical to yours. The car went from running on three cylinders to purring like a kitten on four. Then the tranny started failing.....

I drive my vehicles pedal to the medal quite often. I've never had that cause a problem with any car until this Toyota. The tranny just couldn't deal with full throttle for long.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That may have been the last good transmission Chrysler made. We have some diesel 4x4 Dodges at work and the automatic trans went out in quite a few of them at around 30K, which was still in warranty. The "fix", besides repairing the transmission, was to flash the engine computer to reduce the engine power output to protect their crappy transmission from blowing up again.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I have seen several reports from reliable sources that GM puts it, or a reasonable facsimile, in every GM car at the factory.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Yeah, K&W Nanotechnology Head Gasket Repair. They were side by side on the shelf.

I decided $9.99 was enough for snake oil rather than $19.99...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Solved both the headgasket AND heater core leaks on my cousin's Soob - worked 'till he scrapped it a year later. The car was NOT worth replacing a gasket on, but it got him through the winter, where the

4wd was a necessity for him, then through the summer
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I'm not sure if it's working or not. The leak was intermittant to begin with, and today was giving me trouble again, in that acceleration up hills is sluggish.

Wish it were warmer, I'd just yank the d@mn head gaskets and do it!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I think it is the rabbit pellets, not the liquid, and I know it was done on the Caddy 4100 engines, not sure about others.

nate

Reply to
N8N