Headlight question: 1996 camaro z28

This car eats headlights. For those of you not familiar, this car has a 4 bulb system. It burns out probably 3-4 low-beams in a year.

This ain't cheap at $25/pop for these 4351 sealed beam units.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper, possibly higher performance conversion option?

Thanks in advance, Josh

P.S.: I've heard sparse recommendations (from parts counter staff) for dielectric grease on the terminals. Thoughts?

Reply to
Josh

There are conversions available, how good they are I don't know. Might want to check with Daniel Stern. Stay away from "blue bulb" crap.

Dielectric grease is a good idea, but it won't make the bulbs last any longer, they will just keep the connectors from corroding.

good luck,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

you probley have either high voltage at the lights or low. you need to check it as the fix is different depending on which it is. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Have you checked the generator's output? Sounds like it's pushing too much voltage down the wires. Check the voltage at the headlight plugs and with the headlights in the circuit. Headlights on, engine on. What voltage are you getting at the plugs? More than 14 is bad, and may indicate a bad generator or regulator within it.

Could also be a bad ground.

Reply to
Bob M.

bulb system. It burns out probably 3-4 low-beams in a year.

dielectric grease on the terminals. Thoughts?

My headlights down burn out as fast as yours (1995 Camaro), but I do seem to replace them more than other vehicles I've had. At $20+ a pop, you do tend to notice the replacement cycle :)

For more hits, use "camaro headlight conversion" (without quotes) at google.

Reply to
james.revv

system. It burns out probably 3-4 low-beams in a year.

How are they blowing out? You see black stuff on the inside of the bulb or not?

dielectric grease on the terminals. Thoughts?

You should definitely use it. It will greatly prolong the life of the connectors. I doubt it will fix your problem at all, but twenty years down the road you'll be glad you did.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I have a '97 Camaro and I've never had a bulb burn out. Of course, with the turn signal DRLs I probably use them far less than you, but they should still last several years with normal use. I suspect the voltage to your headlights is too high, or there are voltage spikes. Measure the voltage at the battery, more than 14.5 is too much. Do you have the same problem with the fog lights?

Here's one headlight upgrade which supposedly gives a substantial increase in seeing distance, and with replaceable bulbs too:

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

That certainly looks better than what my web search turned up, which appeared to be stock sealed beams modified for replaceable bulbs. I'd be tempted to try the ones you posted, Hella generally makes a quality product.

here are the actual headlamps used for that project:

I like it!

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Are you thinking of replacing that old high maintenance 944 with a more durable and faster Camaro? I thought you already had e-codes on all your vehicles...

Yup, I first saw that page a few years ago following a link from Daniel's page IIRC. Personally, I'm happy with the light from my stock low beams, and with the aid of a pair of driving lights the high beams are the best of all my vehicles.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Nope, not at all... and yes, not counting the F-150 (for which they are sadly unavailable.) Was just still thinking about the OP's situtation...

I seriously doubt I could find a Camaro for a price I could afford, which is NOT true of a 944. Of course, I have to admit to being partial to the first two generations of Camaro for styling reasons...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Josh wrote: (1996 Camaro Z28)

This car eats headlights. It has a 4 bulb system and it burns out probably 3-4 low-beams in a year. This ain't cheap at $25/pop for these 4351 sealed beam units.

Can anyone recommend a cheaper, possibly higher performance conversion option?

P.S.: I've heard sparse recommendations (from parts counter staff) for dielectric grease on the terminals. Thoughts? _________________________________________________

Excess heat shortens bulb life.

1.) Make sure the connections are not corroded and that the wires are not partiallly broken, generating excess heat.

2.) Consider using a fatter wire or a ground strap on the bulb socket to carry away excess heat.

3.) Provide clearance around the socket & connector to allow air cooling for excess heat.

4.) Use thermal dielectric grease in the connectors to help conduct into the wiring the excess heat.

Good luck.

Rodan.

Reply to
Rodan

My 96 Z28SS (bought new) has never burned out a headlight. I suspect you have one of the problems listed above or perhaps an overvoltage problem.

Reply to
Bruce W. Ellis

You need a new voltage regulator. The too-high voltage on your electrical system will eat any bulbs you get unless, of course, you find some 17V bulbs. On most cars since '75 or so, the voltage regulator is internal to the alternator. Some overly computerized cars control it in the ECU, but I doubt any camero ever did that. If you pull the alternator and bring it into an auto-electric shop, they can replace the voltage regulator and save you the cost of a whole new alternator.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Yeah, I know, just teasing you a little...

While I don't know the market price of a decent 944, I'm not surprised. Old cars that are expensive to maintain tend to be cheap, and "everyone" would rather have a 911 anyway. Still, it's probably better than a Sirocco.

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Funny you should mention that... I loved my old Scirocco and am still kicking myself for selling it. I'd buy it back in a second if I knew where it was today, and I haven't seen a decent one on the market at all in quite some time. Every now and then I'll even search eBay for one and come up dry. If I could find a rust free round-headlight roccet, I'd buy it, no matter how ragged the mechanicals were.

But for reference, you could probably pick up a decent, running 944 (naturally aspirated) from anywhere from $2-4K depending on location. $10K will probably get you a near-show condition Turbo. $15K should get you a modified Turbo that will eat 'vettes for lunch.

Sure, "everyone" would rather have a 911, but for a driver, a '44 is probably more practical. It's actually a better handling car than a

911 (heresy!) and doesn't have near the lift-throttle oversteer issues which can be fun for an experienced driver on a track, but scary if you're just trying to get to work in a snowstorm.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You need to think outside the box. Here's what you do; Buy the cheapest Scirocco you can find on eBay or whatever, complete with all paperwork, and then buy an other one in mint condition from Germany. Transfer the VIN and the US-spec parts you like and you'll have a US "legal" Scirocco in great condition without spending an arm and a leg. Of course, you should have done this a few years ago when the dollar was worth twice as much.

No thanks, I'm about to buy an apartment for over $100,000 so I need to keep my expenses under control. Besides, four cars and a motorcycle is more than enough...

Well, you do have the weight on the drive wheels, and I like powerslides. :-)

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

Last time I looked, there weren't any US-spec ones for sale, period :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The point is that you buy a Euro-spec one in Europe, and equip it with US-spec parts from your "parts car." Voila, you have a mint condition US-spec Scirocco...

Ulf

Reply to
Ulf

I don't have *any* Scirocco in any condition, is the problem with that plan... do a search on eBay Motors for "scirocco" and you'll see the issue.

Where did they all go? They surely ALL weren't either scrapped or sold to collectors...? I mean, they were made from 1974 to 1988 (later in Europe) so you'd think one or two would pop up for sale occasionally.

Also, the authorities may take a dim view of your plan... to some people what you suggest would be similar to taking, say, a 318 Barracuda and a clapped out Hemi and doing a Vulcan car meld, and apparently that is a big no-no.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The rotted out 'really' fast around here. I remember friends freaked about it, nothing left for a subframe to bolt to.... Haven't seen one in years.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)>
Reply to
Mike Romain