headlights

I drive a 1993 chevy silverado

Currently it has stock lights in it for the high beams ( 9005 ) and blue vision ones for the regular headlights ( 9006 or 9007 - can't remember )

What I want to know is it possible to take the high beam ones and put them in the headlight ones. If it is possible would they shine at the same angle as the high beam location of because of the shape of the lense covering cause the beam to shine lower like the regular beam does on the headlight?

Asking because I got my hands on a pair of 100w high beam bulbs that I want to put in and in turn replace my regular headlights ones with the current 65w high beams that are in there now.

I do alot of highway driving mostly at night in the hours of 2 am and behind so traffic is not really a factor and I want to be able to see everything.

opinions?

1) leave headlights and install 100w high beams 2) move current 65w high beams to headlights and install 100w high beams
Reply to
Michael McNeil

no one can tell me if this wil cause light height differences without me actually doing it?

Michael McNeil cleverly wrote:

ones for the regular

the headlight ones.

of because of the

does on the

put in and in turn

traffic is not

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Normally the base of the bulbs are different so you can't get them in wrong like that.

In my opinion, you would deserve a ticket for overpowering your low beams and blinding oncoming traffic. Our old tenant got a ticket doing that. He didn't get 10 miles before he passed a cop and the cop busted him for the bright 'off road use only' bulbs. They were some kind of H series light.

Mike

actually doing it?

vision ones for the regular

the headlight ones.

location of because of the

beam does on the

to put in and in turn

in there now.

so traffic is not

Reply to
Mike Romain

The filament is in a different place relative to the reflector focal point. The high-beam bulb lacks a filament shield to cut off part of the beam pattern and avoid stray uplight and direct visibility of the filament looking into the headlamp (which contributes to blinding oncoming traffic). The optics of the two headlamp buckets are different because different bulbs are expected. In short, if you could switch bulbs, the light ouput would blind oncoming cars and not be very useful to you either. But you can't: The sockets are keyed so that you can't interchange the bulbs. For good reason!

And get the blue crap bulbs out of there, all they do is annoy oncoming traffic and burn out 5 times as fast as real bulbs.

actually doing it?

vision ones for the regular

the headlight ones.

of because of the

beam does on the

put in and in turn

there now.

so traffic is not

Reply to
Steve

vision ones for the regular

9006 low beams, 9005 high beams. Those Philips BlueVision bulbs are some of the least-worst blue glass bulbs, but they're certainly not helping you see any better. In fact, they're making things worse, both for you and for other drivers.

the headlight ones.

Is it possible? Yes. You can grind the tabs on the base of the bulb, grind the keys on the socket and make the 9005 high beam bulb fit where the 9006 low beam bulb belongs. Is it a good idea? No, it's a very bad idea for several reasons. The 9005 bulb has no obscuration cap, which means not only will glare for other road users grow to dangerously high levels, but backglare to yourself in any kind of rain, snow or fog will get very much worse, too. Even if the 9005 bulb did have an obscuration cap, you'd be putting out way too much glare unless you tipped down the headlamp aim so far that your seeing distance would be extremely short.

This is NOT a good idea. DON'T do it.

Great way to toast your truck's headlamp wiring, melt the sockets, deform the headlamps, take out the headlamp and beam selector switches.

You obviously want to see better, and that's legitimate, but your ideas on how to go about doing so are all really, really bad.

You could do (1) if you upgrade the truck's headlamp wiring to include relays and heavy-gauge wire so as to take the load off the headlamp and beam selector switches, though those plastic headlamp reflectors still aren't meant to take the heat of a 100w bulb. Doing (2) is an exceptionally bad idea regardless of what other mods you do.

There are ways of getting excellent seeing on an '88-'98 Chev/GMC truck, but most of them involve spending money. Start with the basics: Your truck is now 13 years old. Are the headlamp lenses at all yellowed or cloudy? Reflectors at all dull or peeling?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern