Re: gotta be an easy way - replacing jetta headlight bulbs

Is that the way for the late model Jetta (if we are even talking about a late model Jetta)? I just replaced the headlights on my late model 99 Golf. I thought I could access them from the back of the assembly, but due to my lack of agility I could not do it that way. I had to revert to the method in the Bentley which says to take off the grill, then the bumper, then take out the light housing, and change the bulb once the headlight housing has been removed from the car.

The method seems to be the same for the late model 99 Jetta according to the manual too.

Of course, I usually do things the hard way. :o/

-Pete

Reply to
Pete Foley

I have a 99 jetta GLS and my front right (passenger side) headlight is >out.

>I went to the auto parts store and they gave me a bulb, but how do I >install it. >It doesn't look like it fits anywhere. Do i have to take the entire >housing off, or does the buld come out from the inside? BTW - the bulb >they sold me was a sylvania 9006XV >thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Do you think you should own a car if you can't change a bulb!

But I digress.

The bulb goes in thru the rear of the lamp assembly.

Open the hood, look at the back of the light assembly and you will see two wires going into the back of the bulb.

There is a locking ring where the wires goes in.

It twists out easily and the bulb pulls out.

DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB WITH YOUR BARE FINGERS.

It is a halogen bulb and any oil from you fingers will quickly kill the bulb.

Once you have the old bulb out, pull it out and place the new one in, it is very simple.

Reply to
Dave

Wrong!

You need a 9007 or 9007XV (some flavor of 9007).

9006 is low-beam only for vehicles with four headlamps. Your Jetta needs a low-high twin-filament bulb and, specifically, it's the 9007 style.
Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks Matt, I looking at the bulb in the package it didn't seem right once I had my hood opened and looking at the configuration.

Reply to
~Maureen~

Most local part stores here try to sell me the wrong bulbs for my '99 Passat, even after looking it up in their computer system.

Reply to
Baudolino

Let's see, does your mom own a car? Can she change a bulb? Does (or did) your grandmother own a car? Can (or could) she change a bulb? Do you really believe everyone who owns a car is capable of changing a headlight bulb?

Or, to put it in your vernacular; do you think you should own anything if you can't see the big picture?

Reply to
dmkozak