Help! BMW Bavaria problem

Hi All, I'm new to this group, and am not sure if it's the right place to post this, but I just "inherited" a 1972 BMW Bavaria which has a chronic problem with the points closing up. Symptoms include missing, sputtering and backfiring. Resetting the points cures the problem for a few weeks, replacing the points and condenser fixes it for a few months, but it never goes away. Has anyone had any experience with this? What's the solution? Someone suggested switching over to an electronic ignition system. Any idea how much this would cost? Parts and labor? Your suggestions are truly appreciated. This was my childrens' grandpa's car, and I'd like to keep it up for them, in case they'd like it when they get older. Many thanks in advance,

- Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yep, converted my much beloved and departed 74 X1/9 with a LED/chopper wheel unit, Allison brand. Made or sold by Crane now.

You'll never open the distributor again, except to inspect the cap and rotor.

Reply to
Stephen Bigelow

I'd replace the coil as well, with a recommended one (Bosch "Blue" coil is well regarded), and make sure any resistor is in god shape. But only if you are wedded to points. I'm not - I use the Pertronics setup in my car.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

By "points closing up" do you mean that the gap is getting progressively smaller.

The only time I can remember this happening is if the screw isn't tightened enough. Most have a lock washer. Perhaps yours is missing?

I suppose another problem could be that the area where the po>

Reply to
kgold

If this distributor has a vacuum advance or retard, the pivot of the plate that moves with vacuum wears out. This allows that plate to wiggle around and changes the point gap. A very common problem with older Bosch distributors.

Chas Hurst

Reply to
Chas Hurst