Help me diagnose the problem....mazda...

OK - I have a Mazda 626, 102K miles, automatic, 4cyl. No serious issues in the past. Just normal maintenance & normal replacements, etc. Recently (in the past month), I've had the following symptoms....

-occasional stall when arriving at destination and putting in park

-when sitting at stop light, engine hiccups & slightly lurches forward

-initial acceleration is slow all the time - really have to give it gas

-initial acceleration occasionally is interrupted & spotty; sometimes gives way as if a misfire or gear slip

-going up a hill in a mid level gear at a constant rate feels a little hiccuppy

I'm hoping it something as simple as a tune-up. Sometimes it does feel like the gears are slipping, but I've never felt this so I'm not sure how it actually feels. I'd really not like it if the transmission is going. Then I thought maybe it could be the fuel filter/fuel pump, with the stalling issue.

What does everyone else think?

Reply to
unc27932

Could possibly be an ignition problem. Plugs/wires? Most OEM wires are those carbon compound and do not usually last more than about

50-60K miles w/o significant resistance problems. Come to think of it most aftermarket wires are the same type.

This type problem would be most pronounced when engine is under a load like climbing a hill in high gear/ low rpm etc.

MB

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
mab992

Could be something simple as a small vacuum leak like a cracked or slit hose on one of the hundred or so running all over the engine bay. Sometimes with the hood up and the engine running you can hear a hissing sound coming an area where it might be. In the 35 years I've built and worked on cars 98 percent of the time the solution to the problem was a simple one but we always "think" it's a major problem that's going to empty our bank account. Anyway, your problem sounds like one I had with an old Camry that I have. Felt like I was pulling a 4000lb trailer all the time too. Turned out to be vacuum hose that was split on the end and fell off the diverter valve for air injection system. Cost 1 hour of my time and 1 dollar in parts (the hose).

HTH, Rick

Reply to
rickbenites

Reply to
unc27932

I'll check out the hoses & cross my fingers. Which ones in particular should I be looking closely at? Like you said - there's a lot of them. I guess the intake area is a main area - any others?

Reply to
unc27932

each leg, that way you'll remember what you have already looked at if you get interupted and have to come back later. What year is your Mazda? Is the "Check Engine" light on? A 96' or newer is OBDII and if you can get your hands on a code reader it will give you a better idea of what to look at. When I lived in Arizona, my local Autozone would rent one to you but I live in Calif. now and the automotive repair industries here got their panties in a wad and pitched a bitch about it, ended up buying one at Pepboys for 200bucks and its already paid for itself twice over, even reads the older OBDI codes.

Rick

Reply to
rickbenites

Remove the air intake hose completely and inspect it for any cracks. This is a common failure for these cars/engines. If you find any, the cheap way out is to wrap the hose with electrical tape.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Webb