Help - Pontiac 6000 keeps blowing fuel pump fuse

I have an '86 Pontiac 6000 that is giving me problems, I hope someone here can shed some light.

It keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse. It blew a few months ago and then didn't do it again until the other night when it blew just as we got home. I replaced the fuse that night, started it up and it ran fine. Then the next morning it only ran for a few minutes before blowing again. Tonight I put my ammeter in place of the fuse to watch the current flow. For the first minute it ran about 4.7 amps, with occasional quick jumps to around 7 amps. Then it jumped up to 20+, the car died, and I think it continued to draw 20+ amps until I unhooked the ammeter (a second or two later).

Can a fuel pump go bad and cause this? If it were a short I would think it would happen when movement occurs, this all happened while idleing in my garage.

I know the gas tank has to be dropped to replace the fuel pump, I don't imagine this is an easy job? I was just getting ready to sell the car. I figure I could get $400-$500 for it (before I discovered this problem). I don't know if it will be worth replacing the fuel pump or not...

Thanks for any help.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

A way that might get you by is to replace the fused link with a circuit breaker--try to put it like under the hood where it won't be a fire hazard. Then, when it pulls 20+ amps, the breaker will break, cool down, and reset. Worked several years on a Chevy truck that had an "untraceable" short in the taillight-dash lite circuit. HTH & good luck. And, PLEASE don't sell it to me! sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi2