Console light fuse keeps blowing

I have a '93 5.0 GT. The other day I was driving at night and the console lights and parking lights went out! I checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse and blew again a few minutes later.

I also noticed (before the fuse blows) that my battery indicator was almost to the bottom when idling and about in the middle when driving. The strain on the battery was so great that my amp couldnt even get enough power to push my one 10" speaker.

So then I remember that I wired my boost gauge into one of my parking lights! I unhooked the gauge and just removed it from the car. No wiring is left from the boost gauge. Popped a new fuse in and it blew again :-(

How should I begin to diagnose this situation?

Thanks for any advice, Cameron

Reply to
Ree-Yees

Cameron,

The first thing you need to do is double check each and every wire connection in the circuit. I suggest replacing bulbs, as melted bulb filament can and will cause the fuse to blow over and over again. While this is rare, it does happen................From there, I would be looking at the way everything else is wired in to your dash and fuse panel, as you might have a wire that has melted or come lose, and that is now causing your other circuit to blow...................Electrical fires in cars are not something you ever want to experience, trust me on that one.....................

Bill S.

Ree-Yees wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I did not realize that a messed up bulb would cause this.

I forgot to mention that once I unhooked the boost gauge the battery indicator was normal before the fuse blew again. Im pretty sure that the wireing was messed and maybe touching metal in the boost gauge, so maybe it botched the wire or bulb on the parking lite that i wired it to.

I'll be checking that bulb and wire first thing today :-) Hopefully it will be easy to pinpoint. Ive seen car fires and they arent pretty. I have a little fire extinguisher, but i seriously doubt you could grab that thing and do anything with it in time.

--Cameron

Reply to
Ree-Yees

Sometimes a faulty wire will melt just a bit before the fuse actually blows...This is what you need to watch out for.................Having a partially burned out bulb where the filament actually melts, and does not burn all the way through is again a rare occurrence, but it does happen, and should be watched out for.....While I'm thinking about it, check each connection for heavy corrosion as well, as sometimes this can cause the fuse to blow as well...................

Bill S.

Ree-Yees wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.