hesitates and "bucks" on highway

I have a 94 plymouth acclaim w/approx 120,000 mi. withing the last 3 weeks problem started..when driving on the highway and start to accelerate the car hesitates and starts to "buck" especially when I get up between 55 and 65 mph, if I take my foot of gas peddle or "punch it" it stops doing it only to start again when I get to 55-65 again (I've tried carb/choke cleaner/treatment, tried fuel treatment, octane boost, condensate remover, also started buying higher grade fuel from exxon, mobile, texaco as opposed to generic companys. any suggestions? thanx

Reply to
BigMacJuiced

A clogged fuel filter or Cat convertor can cause this.

Reply to
saeef

Reply to
tim bur

Could be a lean misfire, which is corrected by the extra fuel added during full throttle. Or ignition.

Reply to
Misterbeets

A SIMPLE AND QUICK WAY TO TEST FOR A BAD SPARK PLUG WIRE OR DISTRIBUTOR CAP. USE A SPRAY BOTTLE (WINDEX TYPE SPRAY BOTTLE) FILLED WITH WATER.SPRAY THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND THE SPARK PLUG WIRES WITH WATER THEN DRIVE THE CAR AND ACCELLERATE QUICK FROM A STOP. IF BUCKING OCCURES YOU NEED A TUNE UP.

Reply to
WIREDOC

Try taking off each spark plug wire one at a time and wiping them clean. Make sure they click onto the plugs when put back. If is works it's a no cost solution.

--

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ William R Watt National Capital FreeNet Ottawa's free community network homepage:

William R. Watt

You didn't say what vehicle you have. I'd also try cleaning the throttle plate as when spooge appears on the TB can affect performance at or near 0 throttle angle such as when you let off accelerator when you come up to speed etc.

Could also be ignition....wires/plugs.

MB

Reply to
mab992

ONE OTHER THING, THE CAR MAKES A VERY LOUD RATTLING NOISE, FROM UNDERNEATH AROUND AREA OF CONVERTER, I'VE READ THAT BROKEN CERAMIC IN CONVERTER IS A VERY POSSIBLE CAUSE WHEN IDLING, BUT IT GOES AWAY WHEN DRIVING....

Reply to
BigMacJuiced

Check for loose heat shield or mounting hardware around the cat. Very common.

Reply to
Ryan Underwood