Ghost in the machine (94 Plymouth Acclaim)

I recently bought a 94 Acclaim. It is in good shape but there is a humming/singing noise that I can't figure out. If you follow your ears, it sounds like it is coming from somewhere near the back door on the passenger side. The noise is constant as soon as you turn on the engine. In gear, out of gear, vehicle moving or standing still...the song remains the same. I think it is coming from the outside/underneath but I can't be sure. Perhaps it will be exorcized on All Hallows Eve but if not, any ideas?

Reply to
Helvis

I've had several vehicles where the fuel pump whirred noticeably, never heard any singing though :o)

Reply to
King of Harts

Does it rise and fall in pitch with engine RPMs? Does it change at all if you turn on the radio and leave the volume quiet?

If yes, look for a shielding or capacitance problem in the charging or ignition system. If no -- and the answer is probably no -- it is likely your fuel pump. My own '92 version of your same car struck me as having a more-audible-than-normal fuel pump, but it never failed me.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks DS and King. I suspected the fuel pump after a few minutes of trying to diagnose the problem but I wasn't sure if it was in the general vicinity. If you guys have had the same whirring from fuel pumps, I'm sure that is what I'm experiencing also. It stays the same no matter what you do to the engine or radio. I'll just get used to it. Thanks again for your replies.

Reply to
Helvis