Honda Civic - ignition failure?

Honda civic 1.5 sli Auto. 1990. Generally brilliant car - 100,000 miles and regularly serviced.

A week after las service I was travelling on a motorway at around 70 mph on a clear day. Flicked the indicator switch to turn left and heard a pop sound - seemed to be infront of me but am not sure if it was in the car or under the bonnet. Anyway, then effectively the ignition totally failed - all dials wnet to 'zero' and all power stopped, althogh I was able to put on hazard lights. Managed to pull over an dcall breakdown people. However after about 10 minutes it started OK and was fine. The Breakdown people could not find a fault. It went into the garage next day and they could not find a fault. All fuses and wiring appears

100% ok.

Anyone have any ideas?

Is there any switch to turn everything off in an accident (to prevent fire) or something similar.

Car has been beuatifully OK ever since but I would like to trak down the fault as it presented a dangerous situation for me and others.

Thanks

Reply to
Spike

"Spike" wrote in news:1174981140.682756.293050 @n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Most likely the igniter or the ignition switch.

Reply to
Tegger

Sounds like something shorted 12V to ground when you moved the indicator switch, and a loud auto-reset circuit breaker popped. I'd get under the dash and wiggle all the wires that go up the steering column, bang on the column a little, etc. figuring on an intermittent short.

Reply to
clifto

A VERY VERY common problem on older hondas is the main relay, do a google search for honda main relay and you will find tons of information.

Reply to
dlowrie

Like they said its most likely in your ignition wiring, but I don't think it grounded out somewhere because the fact that it would of most definetly popped the fuse. I think it's not as simple as they say.

Reply to
z24ridin'