Honda Service Policy

Your expectations are unrealistic about what is covered under the warranty. They pay to fix the broken parts...the ones that don't work. If they replaced every part that was beyond original spec but still working the cost of the extended warranty would likely exceed the cost of a new car.

Now how do you know that they put a design on the road without proper testing. Precisely what testing did they do and where would you have enhanced it.

You do realize that cars that have been on the road for several years do also wear out prematurely because of owner misuse.

If I remember this story correctly Honda has had the car only once for this problem.

Before making a baseless statement like that you should look into what Hona really does in the way of testing.

I think that you should buy a Yugo or a Trabant. With either of those cars you will get a feel for what lack of quality control can really mean.

Or you should take the bus. Well, no that might not be a good idea for someone as inflexible as you. Busses do sometimes run a few minutes late and every once in a while they just dont show up because they had a mechanical breakdown. No doubt you would spend hours on the phone complaining to the transit system about their shoddy service after once such incident. Best that you should walk.

Reply to
John S.

That flexibility comes at a considerable cost that most consumers would not want to bear.

Reply to
John S.

fix a broken

the issue is

Problem is that Honda doesn't know how to fix this one. They are just guessing the start clutch will fix the problem.

If they didn't have to open up the trans to replace this part, yes it would not make sense to replace the entire unit. Since they are opening it up, they might as well just send it back to the factory for a rebuild and send a replacement. I would be greatly surprised if there have been no factory upgrades to something as complex as a transmission that has been in production since 2002.

They probably did minimal testing and that's why there are numerous Honda models like this one experiencing the same problem.

This car was driven by my middle aged cousin, a very quiet kind of professional guy and not by some teen age drag racer. The car has very low mileage.

You remember wrongly. He had the car in at least two times before this final repair where

they did things like replace the trans oil. Those worked for just a few weeks.

Obviously, not enough.

You can always find junkier cars, if you look around.

Keep up the good work defending this car manufacturer. Who knows, they may give you a raise.

Reply to
sherwindu

In this case, Honda had to take apart the whole transmission to replace the start clutch.

No one suggested stripping the trans down to it's smallest components. I'll bet that there are several factory upgrades to this trans, and those should be put in. If there are no upgrades, that's probably why Honda has not yet accurately identified the problem.

Reply to
sherwindu

Well, at this point, I wouldnt buy a Honda either, but it doesnt have anything to do with the problem you have cited.

I have had FAR more problems with GM cars than you have ever had, or probably WILL ever have, with something like a Honda. GM is one company which has, in the past, put out products with lousy engines, transmissions, alternators, body techniques, electronics, etc and they didnt stop doing it, nor even try to help the hapless client, when the problems were identified. Sometimes the production of weak technology continued for YEARS.

With any new development, there can be 'teething problems', or unexpected issues, which show up after a car is introduced. It happened with that crappy little Mercedes (the 320, I believe) which had serious rollover problems. Mercedes at least had the cojones to stop the production line, engineer a fix, and then make good.

Some manufacturers have not been so forthcoming. Honda, at least, doesnt hide behind a 'catch 22' warranty system.

Now, why wouldn't I buy a Honda...simply, I have test driven them, and dont like the ride. Too hard, too harsh, for my taste.

Reply to
<HLS

only fix a broken

the issue is

Firstly, they

models like

returns for

final repair where

At this point you two can second guess Honda's technical designs and testing until the cows come home and you will be no farther ahead. What your cousin has is a car with a busted transmission. And the cousin and the family technical advisor have to figure out the best way to get the transmission repaired. Since your cousin has a warranty I would strongly suggest that you let Honda repair the problem in the manner that they see as appropriate. If you two do not agree with that approach then you could have the transmission completely replaced at your cost then you could then enter into negotiations and possibly sue for damages.

Actually I have never owned a Honda, but I know plenty of people who do. The Japanese Big Three did not get to the place they are in by providing poorly designed cars and refusing to stand behind them in the event of problems. Their cars are consistently rated by consumers as having the highest value and lowest number of problems. Hopefully your cousin is more reasonable in approaching this problem than you.

Reply to
John S.