How do you know who made your O2 sensor?

How do you know who made your O2 sensor?

Both the car I'm getting rid of and most likely the car I'm buying need O2 sensors. One video I saw said it was important to get the same brand as original because other brands might not communicate well with the computer.

But he didn't say how to find the brand? Is it even on the item? And I don't want to take it out and only then run around trying to find one.

What do people do?

Reply to
micky

"Not communicate well" sounds strange. An O2 sensor generates a voltage due to an oxygen differential. All it does is send the voltage to the ecu. You can measure the voltage yourself with a volt meter to see if the O2 sensor is going bad (or read the obd stream). If you're worried about it then get OEM or a Bosch. Your vehicles probably have several. Usually it's the ones closest to the engine that get coated by crud and stop working well.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Get a part number from the dealer (use the web). Use the web to find that part number.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I think I knew that once. I guess what he would says if he knew that is that the voltage isnt' the same for different brands of sensor

I have a code reader, but that doesn't mean I can read the obd stream, right? Something to do that costs more money, I assume.

Thanks. The code reader should also help pin it down.

Reply to
micky

Very good. tx

Reply to
micky

Sensor *brand* isn't the issue. Sensor *type* is the issue. The part number, as has been pointed out elsewhere, is the way to go.

Reply to
Xeno