Northstar/Honda generator questions

I recently bought a Northstar 13000 PPG generator that is run by a Honda 20 hp engine. I believe it is about 20 years old and had been sitting idle fo r a number of years. It has battery operated starter but when I bought it t he starter ignition assembly had been disassembled and was said to dead. I searched online and found an ignition assembly and a friend who is an avid motorcycle mechanic agreed to install it and get the motor running. Today w hen i picked it up he told me that the wiring on the new ignition didn't ex actly match the original wiring. In addition, he was not able to get the ke y starter to turn the motor off. He suggested that I just need to shut the gas valve off and wait for the gas in the line to run out in order to shut the motor off. While the motor runs extremely well I am not happy with this "solution" to shut the motor off. There is an extra wire on the new igniti on switch that he did not use and according to the picture diagram that cam e with the new switch assembly this wire is for the carburetor solenoid. Is it possible that the motor would start and then not be able to shut down w ithout an active solenoid? Any suggestions as to how to figure this one out ?

Reply to
bud.tman

[...]

If I'm not mistaken, that solenoid is a *fuel cut off*. It should have power whilst eve r the engine is running. When the engine is turned off , or even if the battery is disconnected, it should deactivate and stop the engine. The only access I h ave to a wiring diagram or schematics for that engine

are these and I don't know which is applicable to yo urs;

If you have power to the solenoid, cut that power whilst the engine is running by, say, di sconnecting that solenoid. If that kills the engine

successfully, all you need to do is wire up a switch i nto the power lead to that solenoid.

If there are two wires to the solenoid, one will be active, the ot her the earth return. It would be advisable to wire up the switch to the active side so there is no powe r *to* the solenoid.

You really need to look at the wiring diagrams to see how the circuits work. From what I can see from the above linked manual, the ignit ion circuit is automatically cut out when the engine stops. That means that cutting the fuel will be all you need to do to stop the engine. Do check however that ignition power is cut off when the engine ceases to run.

Reply to
Xeno