How many of you own a motorhome?

Not too off topic, I hope. My brother in law owns a motorhome.I think he once said it is a 1986 Pace Arrow.He bought it new.They don't use it much, he keeps it parked by his house, with all or most of the hook ups hooked up.They went to Topeka,Kansas a week ago to vist an old Air Force buddy of his.I don't know if he drove his motorhome to Topeka though.Two or three years after he bought his motorhome, the engine (Chevrolet engine) broke down somewhere in Texas.He had to get a new engine installed in his motorhome. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3171.bay.webtv.net:

The only proper way to camp is with a tent IMHO. Any motorhome I've ever seen just looks cheap on the inside.

Reply to
chuckcar

Some people love them, and spend weeks/months every year in them. Others, 'well, it seemed like a good idea at the time'- but after 3-4 trips first year, 1-2 trips the next year, and then the kids whine so bad about how boring it is on the road and in the parks, they stop using them. Most of the smaller ones are just commercial cut-away vans with an RV on the back instead of a delivery box. Like any vehicle, they don't store well- if you only fire it up a few times a year, all the seals and bearings and such tend to dry out. Kinda a like a boat that almost never leaves the dock. IMHO, all but the smallest ones should require a commercial driver's license- they are really Big Trucks, after all, and many I see going down the road, the driver is clearly in over their head.

If there is a hotel where I am going, I'd rather rent a room. Only thing that could get me to look at one, is if I bought isolated land, and wanted painless camping until such time as I built a house there. And then I would buy used, not new. They do not hold their value well at all, other than maybe the ultra-fancy ones like the snowbirds favor. You can pick up a five-year-old low-mile unit for half of what a new one costs.

Reply to
aemeijers

I can agree. My family camped a lot when the kids were growing up. We all shared the duties, so the women didnt get caught with the crapwork while the boys fished.

No better way to develop some family memories, enjoy nature, and even save a few bucks.

Reply to
hls

I have been places before with my 1978 Dodge van.Great for camping.

Or, camp out like Juinor does it.

cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Chuck,

You must not have been in a camper / motor home recently..

We went to an RV Show in Chicago this past March and the motor homes and fifth wheel campers we walked through looked like luxury townhouses. The slide out sides really open the interior up. They had beautiful hardwood floors and wood trim all throughout the campers, real Lazy Boy like recliners, tables & chairs in the dining area. Plasma TV and the latest electronic equipment available... And Hampton Inn quality beds.

Loan me $112,000 so I can buy one!

harryface

91 Bonneville 321,698 05 Park Avenue 98,756
Reply to
Harry Face

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Harry Face) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3112.bay.webtv.net:

So if you pay car prices you get something that looks like FEMA wouldn't want. If you pay ten times that you get something that looks halfway decent. It's still a scam IMHO. However I *did* see the mother of all of them Sunday at the Monaco Race: Two 18 wheelers with a bridge joining them in the middle making a single motorhome 3x the size of a 18 wheeler. And no, I have *no* idea how they pack it up and move it. A 3rd

18 wheeler to carry the mid section I guess.
Reply to
chuckcar

Harry, Are you going to be in Houston?

Reply to
Paul

Paul wrote, Harry are you going to be in Houston?

June of 2011 we'll be touring Texas.

harryface

91 Bonneville 321,698 05 Park Avenue 98,756
Reply to
Harry Face

If you can get to Pittsburg,Texas, you can see a reproduction of Burrell Cannon's Aircraft.The first engine powered Aircraft.

On the web, Burrell Cannon Pittsburg,Texas cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

Earlier than the Silver Dart?