Combustion Leak Detector.

I saw an article about it in my snail mail June 2010 Popular Mechanics magazine. The price seems right.

I wonder if any of the auto parts stores around here sell them? cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

Reacts with CO gas and not CO2 gas ? Otherwise you'd get a lot of false readings I'd think. I'd want to know such details before I'd comit myself. However that seems rather *more* expensive than the CO detectors you plug in the wall.

Reply to
chuckcar

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

Another thought strikes me: CO + H2O Carbonic acid which will affect the colour of phenylthaline, or even the water from boiled cabbage. there are plenty of other compunds that are reacted to by both acids and bases. A not small number would change colour as a result.

So surely some other compound would turn blue and that's your mystery liquid. How you constanly pump the air from where you *think* the gas is leaking is the hard part I'd think. Along with matching that with where it actually *is* coming from.

I'd just use base indicator strips wet with distilled water and wave them around. They'd work better I'd imagine.

Reply to
chuckcar