Petrol leak on my escort

Thid is something that has been bugging me for ages now and i just can't seem to sort it out. Basically my 98 escort finesses seems to have a bit of a fuel leak but I cna't for the life of me find out where it's coming from.

When it's being driven with the windows down you sometimes get a whiff of petrol, it doesn't last very long but it's quite noticeable. It's much more noticeable when i'm putting my two year old in the backset, especailly if the car has been running a while. The petrol smell seems strongest in the backseat and all around the rear drivers side of the car.

I also took it to a garage for them to have a look at a rattle at the front a while ago and they said there was a strong petrol smell when they were under the front of the car.

I've had the tank off a few times as i've had a problem with the fuel pump in the past but that is all properly sealed up as is the rubber stopper under the rear seats. I've had my head stuck under the bonnet and revved the engine and can't smell any petrol at all. There is also no obvious sign of any leak from the tank.

I've had the car just over 3 years and it began doing this not long after I got it, although it's always worse in the hot weather. It is something that i'd like to get sorted as the fuel economy seems terrible to say it's only a 1.6 and the stink of petrol isn't really somehting I enjoy getting a dose of on a regualr basis.

Any ideas?

Reply to
kris

Does it drip on the driveway?

Reply to
CWatters

Nope, not a drop.

Reply to
kris

Could it be the charcoal canister/evap circuit venting the tank? Mine does this at times.

Reply to
Coyoteboy