Grand Cherokee forgot how to idle

My wife's 98 4 litter Jeep Grand Cherokee didn't want to start. I did some checking and it had spark & fuel pressure . I found out if I held the gas peddle down a little it would start and run fine , but as soon as I let up on the peddle it dies . Seems to run normal as long as you use the gas peddle to make it idle . There's no Check Eng light . Any body have any idea's . Thanks in advance Runk.....

Reply to
Runk

Possible bad idle speed control or gunked up throttle body.

Reply to
maxwedge

It's likely your EGR valve. If carbon hangs up the spring, then it won't idle. I cleaned mine and it fixed the problem, although you may have to replace yours.

Reply to
ldimitri