How to repair a fan motor for a table, floor or window fan.

a. What kind of motor repair would be easy when the blades of a table, floor or window fan stop?...

The blades don't turn.

But sometimes a fan will hum a bit when turned on low, medium, high or sometimes there will not even be any hum when turned on high

b. What kind of motor repair would not be easy when the blades of a table, floor or window fan stop?...

Reply to
Don Saklad

Repacement is the only option

Reply to
Akacguy6161

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

I have to "rebuild" a number of cheap, plastic window and box fans that have totally stopped working for the house, and my wife and her co-workers on an annual basis.

Most of what I run into is simply a cleaning and oiling of the motor shaft bearings with 3-in-1 oil.

Takes me about 15-20 minutes per fan.

Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E. Chassis Analysis Services

Don Saklad wrote in article ...

Reply to
Bob Paulin

At least with the cheap fans I have, usually its not a problem with the electrical part of the motor, the bearings wear and bind on the shaft.

Try lubricating the shaft bearings. Sometimes they will take a drop of oil and work again for a few more months. Oil them again, get another few months. I have one fan that I've been able to string along for 10 years this way.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Apparently, it takes more time than the repair to unscrew many screws, take it apart, put it back together and replace screws.

Reply to
Don Saklad

Probably means the oil/grease is gone from the fan. I've gotten many free fans this way. Pick up so called broken fan from garbage. Open it up and add some grease and then put it back together. Fan works good as new.

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez