imported radiators: good or bad?

There seems to be a number of sellers (some on ebay) selling imported replacement radiators for much cheaper prices.

Anybody got a real world opinion's on these?

good?

bad?

issues?

bob

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

bob urz

2/3 of ALL the ones sold are imports. Very few U.S. made ones any longer.
Reply to
Steve W.

I've had one in my Jeep for 5 years now. Works great.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

Here's what I've done in the past with vehicles I intend to keep. I go to someplace like Auto Zone where the prices are inexpensive and the hardware has lifetime warranty. I keep the paperwork as long as I keep the vehicle. Have replaced lots of stuf, alternators, radiators, water pumps, etc.

To a certain extent, you then don't care all that much about the quality in terms of cost, just in terms of replacement annoyance.

You just have to compare the cost on EBay (inc shipping) with the cost from AZ and see if the difference is worth the 'insurance premium' to you.

Pete

Reply to
ratatouillerat

Which is exactly the opposite f what *I* do. Autogroan can keep their "lifetime" warranty, which really only means that I'll spend the rest of my lifetime swapping out their crappy parts.

I get things like starters and alternators rebuilt locally. It costs about the same as a part-store rebuild, and it only comes with a 30-day warranty, plus its about a 1-day turnaround so you have to do without the part for a day. But you know what? I've *never* had to replace one of those parts again.

For stuff that isn't locally rebuildable, then I shoot for the highest quality part I can find, warranty be damned. IN general, I find that the crappiest parts tend to have the most impressive warranties. They're gambling on people losing the paperwork and/or just getting tired of swapping parts.

Reply to
Steve